Extreme Noob Question! - Building mesh from Coordinates.

I’m just beginning to get familiar with the blender world, and I am blown away. I have a pretty good history with CAD in the past doing Civil Engineering projects in Microstation.

However, I’m facing some difficulties beginning my project due to my noobness.

I’m trying to model a parcel of land with a house and some basic landscape elements. Ultimate goal is to do some “proposal” renders with new features etc.

My question is how do you start with a project like this? I’d like to input the XYZs of the fixed points in the landscapes, but I can’t seem to find anyway to do direct entry. I’d be fine with building up the scene from primitives if I could find a way to create a square 12’x8.125’ or such. I’m not looking to be precise to the 1000th of an inch, but close enough that rays of light won’t be shining between the walls.

Any tutorials, examples, or points of interests will be very appreciated.

Thanks

CAL

if you add a mesh for example a cube and then go in edit mode you wil see the vertices. select on vertice that you want to move and press N on the keyboard . a little window will open where you can set the x,y and z coordinates for that vertice . i hope it helped

Pressing N opens the Transform Properties panel, where in Edit mode you can enter values to change the location of a vertex (or median point of a group of vertices).

In object mode, you can adjust here the position, rotation, and scale of an object wrt to its center.

In Edit window (F9), Mesh Tools 1 panel, you can turn on showing of Edge Length and Angles. Everything in Blender is measured in dimensionless Blender units, so you can assign them within limits to whatever scale you want.

Welcome to Blender and Elysiun!

So there isn’t a direct way to enter n-sided object without stretching/subdividing the cube.

For Example:

(0,0,0)
(10,0,0)
(12,5,0)
(15,5,0)
(10,10,0)
(5,5,0)
(0,0,0)

To do this kind of entry, I would need to convert coordinates to bearings and distances?

The reason I’m concerned, is that I have 500+ points of interest to input. Drag-Stretching cubes seems counterproductive. I realize Blender isn’t a CAD/Architectural system but with the surface rendering abilities I assumed an easier approach would be available.
Thanks again.

-CAL

one way is to type in the coordinates like that and make a little python script to generate the geometry based on that in bpython.

also some of the 3d file formats used are almost like such plaintext coordinates, but i dont think typing straight .obj or something it is the best way to go still :slight_smile:

~Toni

The script that you need is blenderCad.

Atentamente:

El Cateto

You could enter the points into a TXT file and then read it with a small script

Check this French site at

http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/index.htm

Microstation

Is there a small free Softw that can convert from DGN to DXF

and then to Blender ?

Tanks