Extreme slowness of v.2.34 in this case...

Could anyone explain the extreme slowness of Blender 2.34 at rendering this file (94 Kb) (the file is from Sursen, on the Zoo) compared to version 2.33a. It seems to be related to the use of ambient occlusion…

Thanks for your time.

Jean

Any time you use AO, it will take longer to render.

I can’t render this at home, cause I use blender on my laptop exclusively. I could try later though and let you know how it goes.

BgDM

Thanks BgDM.

For everyone to understand : I am talking about a staggering difference and AO is used with both versions of Blender.

Jean

2.33 and 2.34?

could it be the new OSA? [I’m too lazy to dl the file]

You’re really lazy !
(94 Kb isn’t that big… but I should have said so)

The OSA brings about some increased rendering time, as much as 80% more according to my tests ; here I am talking of 100 times (10 000 %) slower renderings.

Jean

It’s because you have Raytracing on in the render buttons. Use the unified renderer to speed it up a bit (not much). Me, I’d use lights for test renders to set up the scene and only use AO in the final render(s).

%<

I tried it here and can confirm that 2.34 is much slower – cut it off after it was at least 3 times longer than what it took under 2.33a – Same settings for both files. I’m guessing its the new osa.

GreyBeard

wondering when an optimized 2.24 version will be out - this could speed up things a lot

2 remarks :

New OSA and AO don’t mix well in some situations, that’ true.

• the octree size is at the minimum, put it at 256
  • With new OSA, a setting of 5 will often yeld better results than with 16 previously

the ‘full osa’ option is always on with raytracing regardless of the state of the button in the material pannel.

so, for raytracing, an external renderer (yafray, pov…) seems a better choice.

You mean just the OSA setting in the render panel?
The new OSA is THAT much better?

Regards,
Caleb

It is out. I downloaded it myself, and the render was much faster (but still pretty slow).

[quote=“Caleb72”]

You mean just the OSA setting in the render panel?
The new OSA is THAT much better?

Regards,
Caleb[/quote]

yep, because old OSA yeld render errors when mixed with ray-tracing.

New OSA + material bias setting when needed can make really good work even at low value.

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Rendering_engine.320.0.html

also, octree size matter. the defaut size of 64 is often not enough, I use generally 256.

However the cut is not so simple. In complex scenes (especially with procedurals), new OSA can be faster than old code.

It is out. I downloaded it myself, and the render was much faster (but still pretty slow).[/quote]

where to get it? ain’t in the testing buids forum. could you post a link?

best regards

marin

[quote=“solmax”]

where to get it? ain’t in the testing buids forum. could you post a link?

best regards

marin[/quote]

I got it in the finished projects section. It is a sticky, and it says “Blender 2.34 optimized”. Here is a link to the page that the version is on: https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17626&start=180 (go to the very bottom of the page).

Or I could give a link to the file.

It really helps to read the stickys. :wink:

hi everybody, one question, for which OS is this optimized version?

I think windows, because I have it and it works here.