Extremely lost when it comes to human modeling

Super lost…

I’ve tried Blender cookies modeling tutorials, i’ve even looked outside of blender for tutorials and i just can’t get it and it makes me depressed :frowning:

what am I doing wrong?

-AJ

there are good videos tut at cgcookie for male and female
which teach how to make a good topology and material and texture

that should teach you how to model human !

happy blendering

how the hell are we supposed to know what your doing wrong? at least post a screen shot of your fail model

anyway if you think your model is bad, i’m about the 5th time through the female model tutorial and its just about starting to look human. your going to get some proper freaks before it comes together

oh and try and find decent high res references and make sure they align properly before you start. my current model is a Frankenstein monster of several different women that i found scattered across the web but as the images are made to fit in photoshop before hand it is easy to model to.

avoid triangles and random poles keep an eye on edgeloop topology.
use a PC, blender wont actually install on a calculator.
cover your mirrors during a storm,
dont kiss girls that eat worms

give us a freakin clue will ya

Try Blenderella, its hard at first but its worth the time, I saw the whole DVD 3 times before I completed the model once.http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/product_info_n.php?products_id=133&PHPSESSID=0e6a0099950d7654901e30f6a53e00a6

Taking your art into 3D and building images based on polygons is not a magic solution for creating art. The truth is that “figure art” is a hard subject. It seems that humans are hard-wired to notice even the slightest flaws in the human form. The actual differences between male and female are very subtle yet when added together make a very dramatic difference.

Can you sit down and draw an accurate figure? If the answer is “no” then don’t expect to be able to model one right off the bat either. Keep practicing and make an honest effort to learn something new every time you make a new model. Be honest with yourself and find the parts of your model that “suck” and that are good. Remember what you did to make the good parts and try something new for the bad parts on the next model.

Here are some tricks that can help you find the problems in your model.

• Look at your model and write down the first 3 adjectives that come to mind. Look at your reference image and write down the first 3 adjectives that come to mind. Compare the lists and chances are that you will have some that are antonyms. Use the words to focus on your problems and update the model.
  • Take an image of your model and put it over your reference images. Note, the places where they don’t line up.
  • Take your image and the reference and flip them upside down. Do the same exercise.
  • Same test but flip the images horizontally.

Definitely stay patient; some dissatisfaction is good because it means you have the sensibilities to get a lot better, but when it stops you from building your skills up that’s when patience and a bit of compassion with yourself has to kick in.

Definitely show us your work when you get a chance. I know i beat myself up a lot over my own art when other people tell me actually it’s not that bad. Human beings are hard. Even just hands are hard. I have not one but two of them myself and i still can’t model them nicely.

There is no way of answering such a vauge question. bluntly, we have no way of knowing what you have or havent done so there pretty much is no way for us to say “this is right, this is wrong”.

past that, you just have to keep trying. constantly editing, practicing. re reading the tutorials and maybe even working step by step with the tutorial splitscrened with blender. Pause often, and look closely. Rewind and look at it again.

I’ll be blunt.

If you’re a beginner you don’t model humans, only a few ridiculously talanted artists do.
Organic modelling is hard, modelling a realistic human is so to say the crowning achievement.

To create a realistic human you need to know a lot about modelling techniques, edgeloops and pole.
You need to grasp the spatial concept of a human, beginners already fail at the faces (buzzword boxhead with buldgy eyes) and despair at the ears.
You need a lot of anatomical knowledge, you can’t model a human if you don’t know the underlaying muscles and don’t understand the anatomy.
You need a lot of material knowledge. Eyes will look dead, hair will look odd and skin like wax or plastics if you do not know what you’re doing, and especially for the skin it requires anatomical knowledge again.

What it is you’re doing wrong?
Trying too much, too early.

Create a house or a car or something like that, and with the gained knowledge try humans over and over again.
But I’d start with an anatomy book and research on edge- and polyloops.

It has been traditional in art education for beginners to copy the work of masters. I suggest you find a model that you like, maybe on BlendSwap or one of the Blender Foundation characters, and try to copy it. As the usual procedure is to model from reference images you could render it from front and side and use the renders as background images (or image planes if that is your preference) and keep the original model hidden but in the same spot as your model so you can unhide it occasionally so compare how you are progressing.

To make it even easier you could give the original model some kind of checker texture before you render it for the background images. This would make it easier to line up verts correctly from front and side perspectives.