Extruding along a path

Hi, this is my first post here. I’ve been learning blender for a week or two now…

I’ve been trying to figure out how to extrude something along a path for the last few days with no luck. I’ve tried several tutorials, and always get stuck in a simlar way.

Actually my question might be more basic than how to extrude along a path.

I’m getting confused about how to control edit mode and object mode, and which object I’m editing.

For instance, I start with a fresh blender, delete the initial cube, then add a bezier curve object. Then get to object mode and deselect all. Then add another bezier curve object. At this point, no matter what I try, I can’t seem to get back to editing the first bezier curve. I can go to object mode, and select the other one as an object, but when I hit tab, it goes back to editing the first object. And if I had also previously added some mesh, I can’t edit that anymore either, can’t selected it with ‘b’, etc.

So, I’m confused about how you are supposed to change which object edit-mode works on.

Previously, when I’d been messing around only with meshes, I didn’t seem to have this problem, or didn’t notice it anyway.

Thanks for any help. Hope the above makes sense.

I’m using blender 2.37a statically linked on x86 linux.

When creating a new object you do not need to deselect the new object will become the selected object on creation and everything else will be deselected automaticly.

The best way to select an object in object mode is to use the RMB (Right Mouse Button) and click on it, hold down the shift ket to select more than one object.

Only the last object selected in object mode will be editiable when you tab into edit mode.

Hope this helps.

As for extrude along a path.

You can not realy extrude a mesh along a path. Normal extrude of a mesh is along the face normal or after pressing EKEY you can Press XKEY, YKEY or ZKEY to extrude in that direction.

if you are as you say working with a path which is a curve then you can skin the path/curve with another path/curve by placing then object name of the second curve object in the BevOb box on the Curve and Surface panel in the edit window (F9).

Ok, thanks, I got it to work. Part of the problem was I didn’t notice the tiny “dot” in the name of the “Curve.001” so I kept typing “Curve 001”

But the RMB to select was a big help. Previously I’d been always using ‘b’ or ‘bb’.

Though now that seems to be working for selecting too, which previously it wasn’t. Hmmm. Now I’m not sure how I got into that state where I couldn’t change which objects I was editing. Well it happened many times before, so maybe it will happen again and I can try to see if I can figure out why. Anyway, it seems to work now.

Thanks.

– steve