Extruding png picture in blender (maze)

hey guys i am wondering how to extrude a 2d png picture in blender. the picture is of a black and white maze any help would be appreciated thanks.

Easy - open .png in Inkscape then use Paths/Trace Bitmap then Save As .svg then use File/Import/Paths (at least iin 2.49) then extrude to taste.

thanks mate but i am really a noob so could you dumb it down a little bit haha

Use a grayscale map to displace a plane object (has to be subdivided several times to have the right resutls), use the displace option in the texture pannel.

…or the displacement modifier, which also modifies the mesh in the viewport (the texture displace only showed in render for me)

Develop a voxel editing engine for blender and use that.

"thanks mate but i am really a noob so could you dumb it down a little bit haha "

Learn the trace bitmap function in Inkscape.
Trace your bitmap in Inkscape and save this file as .svg.
Open Blender 2.49b and choose File/Import/Paths
Choose inkscape .svg
With your newly created path selected in blender, go to the curve options and raise the extrude value up.

Import paths doesn’t always work perfectly but if it does, you’ll have a nice low poly solution.

Otherwise, open up 2.5, create a plane and make the dimensions of your plane match your .png file. Subdivide it a lot. Then add a new image texture and load in your png. Next, add a displace modifier and choose your new texture in the selection box in the displace modifier section. Then move the strength up or down for the height.

Your question is a little vague here but I will see if I understand what you mean. To put it simply, you cannot extrude a 2d png file in blender. If the image is a texture that has been mapped onto a model, then you can use the UV settings to either 1) have the texture repeat for the length of the model. or 2) using the X, Y values stretch the image that way, or as has been suggested use Gimp or PS to do it maually.

In any case this should be posted in the support thread not here for future reference.:yes: