Eye for an eye...

hello,

Started toying with blender a few months ago…got really into it with the 2.40 release…and I finally started to build some stuff…here’s an eye I made for a character I’m planning. All blender and yafray…

gr.

steenpooj

Attachments

one day someone will have the brainwave of using a different texture %|

Ouch!! :-?

Yeah, but what more can one say when it’s taken directly from a tutorial?

How about simply not posting something that has been seen a million and one times by everyone?

This doesn’t even qualify as a finished project.

Perhaps they should have a Newbie area of the forum so that stuff like this can be posted and not get in the way of bigger projects that people post.

Yeah, either that or have a ‘Serious finished projects’ section. Focused critique isn’t as good as it should have been…and it’s mainly used for wips anyway.

Steenpooj:

Sorry if I seem like Im being unfair, but Im getting kind of sick of seeing this pixar eye time and time again. :wink:

How about trying a little more constructive critiques here. Some of these posts are downright obnoxious. If you can’t think of a better way to encourage someone and still tell them that it’s a little too much of a beginner project to post, then you have either a problem with imagination or are sadly lacking in communication skills. I remember when I did the eye from the tutorial and was proud of it. It happens to be a start. So you saw it a hundred times before, this person just got started and is proud of something actually looking decent whether it came from a tutorial or not. Critiques can either help a person or hurt them unneccessarily depending on how they’re delivered and the level that the person being critiqed is at. This person is a beginner and the critiques are out of line.

nice pic - though not very realistic, or complex.

for [email protected]’s sake (and for us all) - a picture of my iris you can use:

Well said!

Debate this here: https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50536
ITs already 15 pages long

Seems you followed the tutorial succesfully and the image you have there is better than I remember the tutorial made you do. So keep it up!

[email protected]: I agreed with your position, I was countering ChrisThom’s post ;).

How about trying a little more constructive critiques here.

such as ‘nice reflective eyeball’? no thanks.

Some of these posts are downright obnoxious.

Not really, this is a very tame forum, there is very little in the way of obnoxious subject matter.

If you can’t think of a better way to encourage someone and still tell them that it’s a little too much of a beginner project to post, then you have either a problem with imagination or are sadly lacking in communication skills.

Maybe both :wink: Or alternately, I may just be a little fed up with the lack of imagination in ‘finished projects’ these days. The author also pointed out that this isn’t actually finished…but a small part of a bigger project.

So you saw it a hundred times before, this person just got started and is proud of something actually looking decent whether it came from a tutorial or not.

This I can relate to. However, there are thousands of people that do that tutorial, so imagine what would happen if all of them chose to post images of it once they had finished? we’d be wading through eyeballs to find some actual artwork. Like I said, the simple switching of the iris texture would at least make something unique…or is that too much to ask for as a finished project?

This person is a beginner and the critiques are out of line.

On this we will have to disagree.

Encouraging indeed…

Knowing that blender isn’t that easy to step into… and now knowing the reactions to something I ‘was’ indeed proud of…

I don’t feel like posting here ever again…

Thnx, freaks… but then I guess you bigmouths were born with 3D skills…

steen

p.s.: little search in this forum learned me that those with the sharpest crits here have tons of cool and origanl, eye-blinding 3d-candy posted here :expressionless: hail to them…

Constructive!

(thx fireside, glad to see there’s still brains outhere)

I think you misunderstood madcow’s point. Your work isn’t bad at all, it’s just that it shouldn’t have been posted in finished projects. Usually people who post here are spending weeks or months on their work, Or it is the result of a lot of artistic thinking, and post it only when they think that their work is truly finished.

Now it is sad for those people if their post doesn’t get the required attention because there is 20 other posts about the result of a one day tutorial.

Your post simply belong to the wip section, and if some people flame you it’s not because of the quality of your work, but because it’s not posted in the right place.

And as a tip, accepting critique is a big advantage for you. Saying that you 'll quit just because someone doesn’t think your work is as great as you do won’t get you anywhere. So keep blending but next time, think twice about where you should post your work :slight_smile: If you’re unsure -> Wip

usually unoriginal finished tutorial project should = no posts.

Yet this one gets a whole bunch. Why can’t people just let sleeping dogs lie?

but an eye isn’t like that in reality.

see… it aint just a simple sphere or sth like that… %|

It looks finished to me. But then again, what the f do I know. Steenpooj, don’t listen to the arrogant pricks(Elitists are the worst). Well, it looks good. You could try my tutorial as well and see how you like the results. I think adding reflectivity to the eye helps butloads(but increases render times).

P.S. Just post and be proud!

Can we at least agree people should mention their model is from a tutorial in the original post?

arrogant pricks? Madcow is quite far from being arrogant, he just had the guts to say what 85% of this community thinks (as far as I know). It sure is a quite decent render, and I’m happy that its creator is proud of it because that’s what is important if you want to keep making more complex things and all…but it’s still a simple sphere, with the eye texture from the tutorial everyone here know…

I’m not putting down your work, because everyone have gone through this, it’s just that the new users need to understand that it’s illogical and useless to post all the very small projects like this. You mentionned it would be part of a character you’ll make, so my suggestion would be that you shoul have waited till your character is finished, and in the same thread you could have your character and an individual render showing your eye, or instead of posting in the finished projects, post it in the work in progress and keep showing the progress on your character over there. The post of Madcow and the others wasn’t intented to make you stop posting on this forum, and not directed only to you…it was more of a message to the whole new wave of new users that arrived on the forum.