Eye rig. Why does this happen?

Hello all,

I seem to have an eye rig issue that I can not solve and cannot find anything about it on the internet. Started blender a year ago and this is the first time I encounter this problem.

I have a character with two spheres for the eyes and two spheres for the cornea of the eye. I rigged my character, placing the eye bone at the origin of the eye (and cornea, same origin), parented the eye bone to the head bone and both, eyes and cornea to the eye bone.
Scale and rotation applied for all.

Now the problem is, when I rotate the head bone, eyes and cornea follow as expected, but the eyes seem to move away from their origin point, thus popping out of the head mesh, while the cornea stay put as they should.

Can anyone shed a light here please?

Much appreciated.

Specs:

• Intel core i5 3570 @ 3.40 GHz
  • 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
  • 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI)

Hi, please share blend file. If you can’t, please show captures of outliner (with hierarchy), constraints, and modifiers (on the eyes).

Hi Hadriscus,

Thank you for your reply.

The blend file seems to be too big to upload, so here is a screenshot of what you asked, hoping it is sufficient for a diagnosis…

Hello again,

I seem to have found the solution:

Both eye meshes had all the armature created vertex groups. I deleted them all and the eyes popped back into place! On further testing, everything seems to be working corrected.

Thank you Hadriscus for your fast responce!

I figured it would probably be double transforms : parenting and armature modifier.

For the record, you can just keep the problematic objects, delete the rest and the blend file will be lighter, easier to share.

Yes, I tried to do that, but could not decide what to delete…
There are a few more issues with this blend file, but I want to try and fix them myself first.

Thank you again

1 Like