EZLattice Free/Plus 2.80: Deform and Reshape Models Quickly

Thanks for taking your time to try to address the issues you came across. I am happy to hear new ideas and recommendations. I am also glad that you find the code to be workable.

First: uvw segments of the lattice can be below 2 by UI design, I found it nicer to work with when its hardlocked to 2 for quickly dialing down with mousewheel or mouse drag.

Adding a preferences setting for the default divisions is in my todo. That should fix this issue for everyone hopefully

Second: If you selected vertices sitting on a perfect plane, meaning bbox=0 for any of the axis, the lattice wouldn’t encompass your selection; Thus making the lattice not having any effect at all.

That was in my todo for the next release. This was an overlooked corner case.

Third, lattices created with this addon were not stackable, it would always overwrite the first one created by the addon.

The current functionality is by design. Being able to keep adding new temporary lattices was never part of the original design since I wanted this to be a purely quick modeling tool, hence the name EZLattice. I probably would not make that part of the add-on for a while. Because this is not necessarily a lattice modifier manager. If I enable it that way the add-on might end up needing to evolve in other directions. And I do not want the scenes to be polluted with unintentional sub objects However I am open to new ideas and experiences.

1 Like

Hi

I will be releasing a new version soon with the changes you see in the picture and some bug fixes. There is a dedicated preferences for it now.

2 Likes

Hi

Version 1.1 is up. This update is purely for the Plus version. I will add the panels to the free version when I can.

3 Likes

Thank you! I often use the two dimensional lattice for modeling, so i am very happy about the fix.
Could you implement the suggestion of rbx775? Always annoy me a little bit when i’m too fast with the mouse and reach a negative value. Please set the limit to 1.

uvw segments of the lattice can be below 2 by UI design, I found it nicer to work with when its hardlocked to 2 for quickly dialing down with mousewheel or mouse drag.
Just a minor inconvenience. Min = 1 can also be useful.

I have another question. I use your addon in regular modeling very often, to 80% I use the default settings. Is it possible to set up a toggleable hotkey or would the effort be too huge? Press hotkey > ezlattice is executed with predefined settings, press the same hotkey again > applied. So without opening the popup. I would really celebrate that and give you 3-4 cups of coffee. : )

Always annoy me a little bit when i’m too fast with the mouse and reach a negative value. Please set the limit to 1.

Sure, I added that to my todo. I never use the mouse wheel for it. so never experienced it.

You can assign a shortcut to menu items. Just right click on the item and assign a shortcut, then save your preferences. Let me know if that does it for you.

As far as making it toggle based shortcut, it needs another operator, I will see if I get to it. That is actually how the original Easy Lattice worked back (with glitches) then. There was no clear or apply.

1 Like

Thank you.
I created two hotkeys and now address them with an external program (‘autohotkey’), so I can toggle it now comfortably with alt + mousebutton5. : )

test

The addon is great, I only missed a quick’n’dirty function because I use it more often than advanced settings.

A few other suggestions:

If I start EZLattice in edit mode, could I be immediately put back into edit mode after ‘Apply’?
And what do you think about allowing the fading in of a wireframe during lattice? With ‘Apply’ you would reset ‘Display Wire’ back to its original value. This sometimes makes my work easier as I get a more direct visual feedback. Nice to have, but certainly not a must.

Since I don’t understand much about scripts in Blender, it’s easy to throw suggestions around. : )

Thanks for your great work!

I am glad that you found decent a solution. AHK is what I use for those kind of side solutions and works great for sure.

I thought that I implemented it to remember the last mode the user was in. Apparently that is not the case. This is a bug. I will fix it for the next release.

I added your suggestions and I will implement them as I go as long as they are doable.

Please do not hesitate about asking for new features or bringing up the issues you face with it. I will add some other destructive operators for modeling.

Have you tried installing EZLattice in the 2.81 master build? I tried installing one Python script so far, and it didn’t show up in the 2.81 add-on list.

Yeah I have no idea what is going on there. I wont be able to support 2.81 at this point unfortunately until I figure out what is going on.

1 Like

I’ve just tried installing EZLattice in Blender 2.81 and it seems to work fine. :+1:

Some of my add-ons are broken in 2.81 alpha. EZLattice seems to be doing ok. Thanks for testing it.

1 Like

I am glad to come across this. Was really missing an easy lattice workflow from maya and this solves that problem. I will be buying the pro version to support you, keep up the great work!

Hi

Thanks for your interest. Please let me know if you have any feature requests or bug reports about it.

Ok here is a snapshot from the next release

• New Panel options

• Smoothing the weight used by the lattice. Hopefully @Metin_Seven will be happy about it.

QlIeJ5sMgK

6 Likes

I will be a happy camper! :grin:

Just a tip for when you work with lattices:
Did you know you can add modifiers to a lattice itself? Select the lattice and go to the modifiers tab. Interesting is Soft body.

In case you want to experiment with a jelly Suzanne:
Friction: 0, Mass: 0.8, Pull: 0.5, Push: 0.5, Damp: 8.5, Plastic: 0, Bending: 1.0, Length: 0. Stiffness > Shear: 0.01.

(This way the calculations for softbody is not that heavy). Example:
YellySuzanne4

3 Likes

I like using the deformers. I never tried the soft body one, I will give it a try. It sure can be very interesting. I tried using the curve deformer in the past (pre 2.80) and it was wonky maybe it is better now.

2 Likes

Will it be possible to add multiple lattices on the same mesh ?

Hi

It is in my todo. I am hoping that I can include that in the release after the upcoming one that will happen in couple days.

2 Likes

Hi

V1.2 is up with

• [NEW] Contextual Sidebar settings
  • [NEW] Smooth vertex weight
  • [NEW] Spherize lattice mesh
  • [NEW] Randomize lattice mesh
  • [FIX] Remember the prior mode

See the first post for the demos

5 Likes