F 16 Timelapse, Model + Texture

A link to the video. This took around 4 to 5 hours.

1 Like

Very nice tutorial vid (yes I watched the whole thing).

Didn’t get a chance to check out your youtube blogs as its late here (4am), but what your working on looks pretty interesting so I plan on checking them out tomorrow.

(and I see you are just getting up and running so best of luck in your website/dvd venture. Looks like it could contain a lot of useful info for the “I want to make a game” crowd :RocknRoll:)

Yea its a long video. Wasn’t sure if anyone would watch through. I see every new texture artist doing the same things wrong, mainly that they don’t realize each pixel should be unique 1:1 with the texture. You can have a 2048x2048 texture with 4 big pixels. The real resolution is still 4 pixels. Its a pre-cursor to starting a company (the DVD tutorials). I’ve been doing this for a long time.

Good work on modeling the F-16. Another modeling technique you could have done is used the fuselage sections of the F-16 to build your mesh. One good thing about the F-16 there are tons of plans and photos of it on the net. And it’s an awesome fighter, too!

What are your thoughts about using the Blender Game Engine?

I can code about 100x faster with my own work regarldess if its BGE or UDK. The last time I saw BGE it was all about hooking up inputs/sensors visually with logic numbers and what not, so I disagreed with that hugely. I use Blender as my level editor though and do things differently. It is also not producing next-gen stuff that runs fast enough from last I saw. From what I heard, BGE has no real shadowing systems for Cascaded SM’s or any other good shadow system. So it comes down to ease for me to implement my shadow system, AI, other in my own code, vs hacking into BGE to write custom code. Not a fan of python either. Pro engines are written in C++ and sometimes a mix of C#.

Are you going to release your models? Or your game as open source?

This goes onto a DVD (download) each chapter the source code grows from a small template (blank window) and builds up slowly to a flight sim. So each chapter has the updated current game and art. It will not be a full game, but a single level going over math and programming to make a flight sim. So yes all the blender 3d art files, textures and final code for the game will be included. Which is why I didn’t fully finish the f16 because the focus is to make a game, not be picky on perfection but teaching concepts to make a final game. “Here is the f-16, lets load the model and make it fly and shoot missiles.”

I’m definitely thinking about the DVDs but will have to wait until after the holidays.

Why don’t you used the mirror modifier? Why don’t you let your model in the center of the 3d space and aligned your reference image in each view? I think you have lost a lot of time, but congrats for trying modelling such a complex model.

Brand new to 2.5/2.6, I still prefer 2.4 because it has some other features and all the shortcuts I’m used to (especially like the old knife tool.) I hardly use the mirror modifier, I think only in 2.5 came the feature to merge vertices close to the center line, so I like to see the correct lighting which again I think didn’t come until 2.5 (maybe). 2.4 never had the individual blueprints left/top,front, so I just was not used to it. I still got this done in about 4 hours so it wasn’t too harsh.

I got the dvd preview sample. It looks good except for one thing: it’s for Microsoft C++. Have you thought of making it for a generic C++. I run a Linux system and really don’t want to have to switch to Windows.

There are too many project files, linking, setup, (not to mention it really is one of the best free tools). So if you got lost you wouldn’t be able to just load up the next project. You could try wine. Also, professionally nobody writes games outside of windows visual studio (unless you have the rare port, or it is a specialized game such as Mobile or maybe facebook). All console games are written with it too, so it is something to think about if you are going the game development career path. But mainly I did it so that I could provide each chapter with the current game code in a single project to just open if someone gets lost. VStudio works with Mac, so it might work with Wine (never used Wine before). I also hate linux and linux carries different library code, so in order to show how I am doing things I would have to have a video of me working on linux and one working on windows. I did a job once for military software and had to do some linux work and I ran into a lot of trouble to try and get it to compile/link correctly.

I was under the impression most game development was platform independent. Why do you hate Linux?

Don’t hate it, just don’t know enough about it, and I had a lot of trouble with some simple things that you can do in Visual Studio versus Eclipse which is the IDE I used on Linux for C++. Even if I liked Linux, again I would have to make 2 videos for how I am approaching that I am showing everything on making these games. And almost no games are platform independent. If you mean xbox vs ps3 vs wii, everyone still uses visual studio and windows to develop those. That just compiles down to whichever platform you choose. In one game I did we just had an option to turn on ps3, xbox, or pc (used pc to debug a lot of the time). But its not like console games are worried about making their game portable for linux, so they never plan for it. If you get a development pc at a studio, its going to be windows. Typically only indie games hit Linux. There just is not a whole lot of professional game stuff going on with linux at the moment.

Just wanted to shout out a thanks for this … some of the techniques used in texturing might be common knowledge to some people, but I am a total noob as far as texturing goes. The layering of seamless textures with varying sizes of tiling etc was especially useful… already put that to use and got some nice results on a project im working on.

Yea you can check my signature for my deviant art and see my first blender textures. Once I found cgtextures.com and understood scale. One thing I didn’t state in that video is that:
If you take a real picture of say 1x1 meters of concrete. You cant slap that onto a 3D piece of concrete that is 3x3 meters big. It will look completely off-scale. So you will have to tile the picture 3 times to make it match up.