F**k the arms industry or whatever

I don’t really remember 4 what reason I had that idea yesterday, but as I had some pretty accurate model of a Smith&Wesson Model500 revolver still lyin’ 'round on my HDD, I thought it might B not too much work 2 realize it & decided 2 do so. As I thought having at least some variation in the finger’s length would B quite nice, I modified my old model, to get the version having a 4 inch (if I remember it correctly) barrel (in addition to the original 8 3/4 inch version). Initially, I intended 2 use some toonshader on this one, but when I just did a testrender using the old materials, it turned out 2 look surprisingly nice. So i’ma probably do both versions now. I know there’s some artifact on the middlefinger, but well, Blender’s tangent-shading functionality ain’t really top-notch:confused:. No possibility 2 avoid that (been there, done that). I’ma simply fix it using postpro later.
greetings, Kologe

Attachments

Good idea for an image. Surely makes it stand out from all the other gun models here.

Though it took me a while to see what it actually depicted. At first those bent barrels reminded me of my home country. :slight_smile:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article144934.ece

Thx. Kinda tried 2 improve it today, those barrels should B bent somewhat more realistically now. Also tried 2 improve the stainless steel material, but it looks still kinda odd on some parts though. However I made it my new wallpaper… gonna still have 2 get used 2 that much brightness on my desktop; Just realizing it got some AA-problems on the “middlefinger”-barrel. Not sure weather I’m still gonna take care of that today.
Anyway I think I’ma have a try on the toonshader-version tomorrow even though I’m afraid one might even be less capable of getting what it is to depict, then. But we’ll see.
Btw. I wonder weather I should perhaps cock one or 2 of those hammers? Probably not the middlefinger’s, as there’s smoke comin’ out of that particular muzzle… Any opinions?

greetings, Kologe

Attachments

After realizing that a toonshader actually looks better than Oren-Nayar/Blinn, I’ve come up with 4 different versions now, each having a different amount of “toonshaderness” 2 it. From left 2 right: Toonshader without outlines; toonshader with outlines; toonshader with outlines plus maximum contrast 4 the reflectionmap; toonshader with outlines & without reflectionmaps;
greetings, Kologe

Attachments

Those toon metal renders are very nice, share it?? :slight_smile:

Blenders tangent shading is good, but:

It creates artefacts with ray tracing, but:

Shadow maps still work

Which one?
-Anyway, here’s the material from the first&second leftmost render (I toggled the “edge”-setting on the output-panel, so it’s like on the second render counting from the left). The rest is explained above.
I’ll attach the texture used in channels 3,4 & 5, too; feel free 2 use it, if ya want 2. The texture used in channel 1 is too big 2 upload it here, unfortunateley. But that ain’t but a high-passed metal-texture anyway; so nothin’ special here. Don’t know anymore, where I got that HDRI which I used in the texture-channels 6 & 7 from, though (but that’s of course not the point 'bout it, anyway).

greetings, Kologe

Attachments

Toon-steel.blend (204 KB)

very interesting, looks very near a gun i shot today at the range!

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

its cool…but i dont get how it works…is that long thing the barrel?..maybe im missing something major or the angle is messed up for me XD…cool anyway

Look here; I hope this provides 4 some clarification.

greetings, Kologe

Attachments

OHH…but wat are the other barrels and stuff for?

You know it’s alltogether 5 S&W Model500 revolvers… for the “middlefinger” the standard version having a 8 3/4 inch barrel, plus four times the version having a 4 inch barrel. So effectiveley, it’s four revolvers nxt 2 oneanother in a row, making up 4 index, middle, ring & pinky, plus a fifth revolver mostly hidden behind the others making up 4 the thumb. Got it?

greetings, Kologe