f l o r i b u n d u s

A new image…

Floribundus

Blender 2.35. Background layer/lettering added in post, zblur/contrast adjustment in post as well. One mesh, no duplications or shrink/fatten symmetrical editing used, in fact no perfect symmetry here :wink:

Hope you like it.

RobertT

Saying I like it would be an understatement. Just superb.

Saying… oh no! i quoted the wrong part!

anyway, all i’ve got to say is :o

Outstanding! Is all of that modeled in, or are there bump/disp maps in play? The lighting is also very well done. Soft and gentle.

-Laurifer

how!?

my lord!

i can’t being to imagine the geometry.

enlighten me!

the petals also look both soft and translucent - how did you acheive the look?

oh wow… was that modeld with clidoscope method? very good. shader is excellent… feels so real.

WOW!

I had to ask myself a couple of times if that was a photo of a real
flower or CG. Took me at least 10 seconds to see it.

One of the most relalistic renders I’ve ever seen in Blender,
Good job Robert.

You, my friend, are outstanding.

Awesome lightning, givig away the blend? :slight_smile: Really nice work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Excellent shader. I really like the amount of translucency. Just perfect.

Now, with no kaleidescope modelling done, how the hell did you do it? Did you utilize the kaleidescope method and then edit the mesh somehow by random selection and then subdivide, etc.?

Please enlighten us.

BgDM

Wow thanks everyone for the positive responses :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s all geometry, no displacement. Helping the materials are two area lights (one below and one to the right) working at 90 degrees to the floral object. I used a little translucency, a shadow buffered light, a negative light, some AO.

No kaleidoscopic modelling. I could never get that to work without getting inverted faces and edges. BgDM came closest to figuring out how it was done :smiley:

This began as an icosphere. That, combined with decimation, semi-random selections (saying that since I intentionally selected/deselected certain faces), extrusions, scaling and smoothing vertices in several fractal style cycles eventually lead to what you see here. It was tricky :slight_smile:

Decimation and arbitrary face selection were the keys to breaking down symmetry. It took about three hours to get everything just right, and about a half hour to render using fairly high sample settings for AO and OSA. There are two levels of subsurface division as well.

Originally I had more of a glassy white shader, then tried different monochromatic schemes, but those didn’t feel right, so I continued revising materials as I adjusted/added/deleted light sources. Experimentation can lead to interesting results :wink:

Definitely something only made possible by advances in Blender 2.35’s mesh editing tools, so consider this one dedicated to the coders.

RobertT

I certainly do. Thanks for the insight on the technique but… I can’t even start to obtain anything closo to this. Oh wait: you said three hours of tweaking? No wonder why, then :smiley:

WOW…here i was thinking pfff i could do that easily with kaleidescope method.
superb modeling and lighting

Wow neat model and great lighting, in fact everything in this image is great :o

amazing! I love it.

This is beautiful. :o

eyes pop out

You did this… how?

Oh…My…Fing…Gosh…

starts chanting

.blend! .blend! .blend! .blend! .blend! .blend!

sexy

Great colours, but I don’t like the fact that I’m looking at a cube. Maybe if you cropped it a bit so we can just see one side it would look a bit more “natural”.

Looks amusing!!! Is it some kind of flower? Good work!