"Face" it - a head with hair, non-realistic

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3536/3909976345_8aa5dd3e86.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2592/3909976105_e2863b603d.jpg

thoughts?

• amdbcg

Not realistic and lighting needs big work.

EDIT: Hey - I just noticed that after my comment of “not realistic” you then changed the thread title from “semi-realistic” to “non-realistic”.

For hair, you need light which casts shadows… if you have shadowless lights, the hair strands turn to flat colour.

Delete all lights. Start with only one “key” light and position it for best effect. It’s your main light source. BTW… I often make lights “track to” the object while I move them around.

With one light only, there will be areas of your mesh which are in complete blackness. Use one or two extra “fill” lights to fill in these dark areas. Directional shadowless light is usually good, but again, watch out you don’t flatten the hair strands due to the shadowless bit. For positioning purposes, I often make them a strong clour so I can see what they are doing as I move them around (GLSL).

Your key light should have a brightness of around 1. The other fill lights could range from 0.25 - 0.75 depending on the mood. Change their colouring to suit your environment.

Don’t try to adjust brightness to get the “perfect” lighting. Use a gamma node - it’s way faster.

With one light only, there will be areas of your mesh which are in complete blackness. Use one or two extra “fill” lights to fill in these dark areas.
Okay, I worked on lighting a wee bit, and removed the weird textures.
here is the face with just one key light:

here it is with a key and a side filler light (to the right)

more comments or thoughts?
-amdbcg

ATTACHED PICS
I’m working on the hair.

Attachments

awesome hair

give em sunglasses and a tophat and he’ll be slash! :smiley:

true true true that’d be awesome

The lighting is looking better. You could add another fill light from bottom left to get rid of the black shadow under his chin. Use a coloured light and don’t have it too strong… it’s there to get rid of the black blotches.

EDIT: Hey - I just noticed that after my comment of “not realistic” you then changed the thread title from “semi-realistic” to “non-realistic”.

Yes, I did - you made a good observation :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

The lighting is looking better. You could add another fill light from bottom left to get rid of the black shadow under his chin. Use a coloured light and don’t have it too strong… it’s there to get rid of the black blotches.

ok , so, use lights to remove the black blotches … got it.