Face: quest for the perfect topology:)

Ain’t that a good name for a movie;) Ok, I’m only halfserious here, there’s no such thing as perfect, but if I can make this even halfdecent, that’ll be just fine. I’ve been studying a lot of wires lately, and I thought it’s time I actually modeled something. I wanted to make it a little more complete before I posted it, but then, chances are, I would never post it %| So this is to put some pressure on myself :slight_smile: So, do you guys think this is a good start?

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=55631
http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=55633[/img]

Yes, i really like it and i really like your tutorial too. The mesh is simple and… complete.
This one seems to me even better than the one on the tutorial… this will help me, im a newby and i need good wires examples.
Thanks for posting it and please, post progressions!

(sorry for my englissss) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

very nice start

this is not an easy thing to do at all, i have tried many many face meshes, so if this is one of your first you are ahead of the game

by the way dont forget under the render buttons to turn on your OSA for smoother renders

keep it up

Yes, i really like it and i really like your tutorial too.

Heh, the tutorial is good enough for newbies, I was a newbie myself when I wrote it, but there were a lot of problems with the topology, that made me go nuts. And I feel I have more control with edge-modeling. But glad you like it:)

(sorry for my englissss)

I’m studying English at college, and one of the courses we take is in linguistics. We are taught that there is no good or bad english, as long as it’s sufficient to bring across a point. So no probs, friend;)

this is not an easy thing to do at all, i have tried many many face meshes, so if this is one of your first you are ahead of the game

Agreed, it’s not easy. I would say this is like my fourth or fifth attempt, and this time I’m sticking with it til it’s finished;)

by the way dont forget under the render buttons to turn on your OSA for smoother renders

It’s such a primitive mesh right now, that I didn’t consider it, but I’ll do it the next time:)

A crude nose attached.
http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=55658

Very nice so far. I’ve been studying edge loop modelling lately myself. Rather hard to get a grasp for a newbie, heh, but I’m getting there.

I find it interesting how your just working on the front facial plane though. Did you just start modelling by connecting polygons, or did you start by subdividing a plane and cutting your edges?

I myself have been working more towards a more complete head topology, starting with a box and breaking it down. I just find it easier to visualize the whole that way, thus I feel I gain more control over the character.

Just curious as to your reasons for your methodology. :slight_smile:

I find it interesting how your just working on the front facial plane though. Did you just start modelling by connecting polygons, or did you start by subdividing a plane and cutting your edges?

I started with one tiny polygon by the eye, and then extruded poly by poly. I used to start with a box, and cut my way through, but I found I didn’t get the control that I get with this method. It’s just a matter of taste, I guess:)

Well, I suppose that method has the advantage of not having to deal with all the tris you get and have to fix with box modelling, right?

Well, I suppose that method has the advantage of not having to deal with all the tris you get and have to fix with box modelling, right?

Actually, the whole point of this experiment is to not be afraid to use tris. I was inspired by a thread over at Cgtalk.