Facebook free Copyrighting?

Okay, so I have been playing around with blender for a long time, and have several finish compositions. I posted a few of my okay ones to facebook so that my friends could see. I have posted my favorites with the fear that someone will steal the artwork. Then i started thinking of how Facebook records when you post things so it has exactly what time and date I put a picture up. That means if someone copied it and put it somewhere else they would have to be later then me. Does that give me the copyrights, and would this even hold up in court?

Thanks

That means if someone copied it and put it somewhere else they would have to be later then me.
Your logic doesn’t hold up. That wouldn’t show when they created it. I could post an image I made 10 years ago, Facebook would only show when I posted it, not when I created it.
Are you expecting people to steal your work ? If so and you don’t want anyone to copy it, don’t publish it anywhere or smack a huge watermark over it.

Yes. People will ‘steal’ anything not nailed down and on the web nothing is nailed down, hehe, so in that we’re screwed… That’s why I can’t post what I do, it’s not my copyright, it’s the clients… :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is a quote from http://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

Statement of Rights and Responsibilties

2. Sharing Your Content and Information

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
    17. Definitions
  1. By content we mean anything you post on Facebook that would not be included in the definition of information.
  2. By use we mean use, copy, publicly perform or display, distribute, modify, translate, and create derivative works of.

I’m not a lawyer but doesn’t this statement mean that Facebook already “stole” your images?!

Well, on the other hand, as I understand it Facebook needs to have the full rights to your images to be able to show them to anyone else and/or in other country’s a.s.o… So it’s about that, not Facebook owning your images in a commercial sense.

Or like I usually say - when Google(*) says something is free, it’s you they’re selling. ;D

(*) Facebook, Sun, Microsoft, take your pick…

I’m not a lawyer but doesn’t this statement mean that Facebook already “stole” your images?!
Of course it doesn’t mean that.

lol …okay, you are right. Since he accepted the terms of use it is not stealing.

By use we mean use, copy, publicly perform or display, distribute, modify, translate, and create derivative works of.
Farmfield, this really doesn’t sound like it would be necessary to show in other countries or anyone else.

Maybe it’s just me being a little paranoid…

okay so all i really what is show that i was the one that created it so, besides water marks is there any other way?

There are people who would disagree though. But there always is. :wink:

Well, they’re cover their @$$ threefold in all directions, nothing more.

And a little paranoia is a healthy thing. More than a little, not so much. ;D

Not really. :stuck_out_tongue: