Facial animation

I want to animate a guy talking using rvk, but also want to animate his teeth and toung as seperat objects, then combine them for the final piece.
Any advice on how to do this?

I think the most intuitive way to do it is to combine them all into one object and use rvks.

Teeth are pretty easy to control since the bottom ones move together as a group, and the top stay with the head.

You could keep the tongue as a separate object, rigged to an armature, if you need a lot of flexibility with it.

Make sure all of the vertices are deselected in your head, or base mesh.

Enter edit mode and select all vertices in the upper teeth.

Join the two together.

Select the base mesh and only the upper teeth vertices will be selected.

Make them a new group so you can easily select them in the future.

Do your RVKs as needed, but now you have a group that you can always select.

Thanks for the advice, how do I define a vertex group?. Thats just what I was looking for.

Reference: http://darkabstraction.com/showOff/vertexGroupDemo.jpg

Okay, first, look at the image:

1. In edit mode under the edit tab/button/whatever-it-is, make 2 new vertex groups by pressing the “New” button in the “Link and Materials” box twice (note: you can name them something other than “Group” and “Group.001,” but it isn’t mandatory).
  2. Select your desired vertices (in your case, the teeth).
  3. Press the “Assign” button.
  4. Test to make sure it worked properly by pressing the “Deselect” button and then the “Select” button if you’re unsure that it worked.
  5. Select the vertices in your first group.
  6. In the viewport, press the space bar to bring up the context menu, hover over “Select” in the context menu, and select the “Inverse” entry.
  7. Click the little button on the vertex group combo box, and select the other vertex group you made in step 1.
  8. Press the “Assign” button (and test again, if you’re unsure).
  9. I changed my mind, meaningfully name your vertex groups; it’s a good practice.

Also, if you’re dealing with a complex mesh, like the teeth, that is in the same mesh object but not connected, (i.e. you have the teeth and the head or mouth in the same object, but the teeth aren’t connected by edges to any part of the head or mouth) it’s easy to select it by finding a vertex somewhere in the teeth sub-object, then pressing Ctrl+NumPad “+” until you have selected all the vertices of the teeth. I mean, it’s just a lot easier than selecting all of them by hand; you might miss a vertex and have trouble later.

Later,
–lirmont