Fading two images Textures on a surface.

I know how to apply a material to a plane, and then apply a texture to that plane.
I know how to make it appear both in my 3D view, construction mode, as well as final rendering mode.

-I want a way to make one image fade into the other one via only one plane object, in a way
that can be achieved via two key frames in the timeline or dope sheet.

I have tried applying two textures to one material and two separate textures onto two separate materials, though I have found I can’t particularly assign two materials at once without scripting or the compositor.

-How may I organise an image “fade off” in an animation render on a surface plane?

-How may I have an image fade transition, via two frame keys in an animation render without the compositor or scripting? Is this possible on precisely one plane or surface, or must I use two such surfaces coinciding?

(Here is where I am at the moment)

You have not included your textures in the blend file.

Try animating the texture influence value from 1 to 0 so the second texture goes from 100% influence on the colour to have no influence on the colour

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/42274
Hope helps.

I have tried what you have suggested. However, I can’t seem to either get keyframe insertion to latch on to the texture mapping. I can change the texture ‘Colour’ Value under textures in influence. However I can’t get shape keys or key frames to “grasp” the relevant attributes, in particular one material’s texture, to simply influence colour the upper texture away.

-What should I do to get one texture to fade away and reveal the other one, on one surface object, without using the compositor at all? Otherwise, can someone show me what to do in the compositor?

Attachments

morph.blend (647 KB)

“can’t seem to either get keyframe insertion to latch on to the texture mapping” - keyframe insertion and texture mapping are two distinctly different subjects; you can use keyframe animation to change image mapping though.
I’m not positive on what do you mean by “latch to” in this context however.

Shape keys have to do with programmable mesh deformation settings; you would need to use Drivers to translate Shape key value to one driving texture change. If this is possible at all due to how Blender internally analyses what should be calculated for animation’s frame change.

If you want to animate previously mapped to object texture image change you have to use Blender’s material system to do so. One, more advanced, material editing possibility is to use Material Node Editor; this is not to be confused with Compositor which deals with rendered image processing.

In this example scenario you ask for a solution you could use image mapping animation to ‘slide’ mask texture which if properly set up would allow to transition between two image textures.
Since your file did not have any images attached at all i gave a general example of easier in this case use of Node editor and had shown possible scenarios involving Color Mix or Overlay functions. Result would depend on the images which you have back on your HD.
You were supposed to either re-connect mix nodes or set a different mix function on connected node to see possible effects.

Here is one more example file with two images attached and set up - animated Value can be set manually or by using timeline; values are set to change from 0 to 1 which will mix two texture images appropriately using mixing function in Color Mix node. Setting - Mix will result in images being exchanged while Dodge will ‘paint’ penguin on the car.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/42294

I’m sorry but all your comments here went straight over my head in terms of want I’m trying to find out
The two files that I have included are the red and green square regions in the above post, which are themselves the image files.

-I am using the Animall plugin to enhance my shape keys. In blender 2.77a, I can’t seem to add a time node into the compositor.

-How can I have a colour/alpha turn off happen when I have two textures, one on top of the other, between two key frames? I am using my attached morph.blend file.

?

Switch on Rendered view in file in above post. Click on Timeline in beginning and look at rendered result; click in middle of time, click on end.

To change animation, insert or delete keyframes in Value node numeric input field: position mouse cursor over Value node input field, press I to insert keyframe; move to different position in Timeline, change Value, insert another keyframe. Rightclick Value field to clear keyframes.

Substitute images in Texture tab.

-I am already at or past this stage. I think that the only thing I want to do is achieve is a texture influence colour (‘color’) reduction over time between two key frames. I can’t figure out how to link what I construct in node view to key frames or the active animation timeline either.

I’m using nodes enabled an composite mode in the Blender 2.77a node editor.

Can someone update the .blend file I have added here with some help and explanation?

Help, Anyone?

Switch off any animation helper addon you might use for now. Switch off any Auto Keyframe insertion if you have it on.
All you need to animate Color change for material is I key (I as in India).

Assign red color to default Cube in default Scene. Press I key while mouse cursor is positioned over the Diffuse color field for the default Material.
Click on Timeline at frame 40. Green vertical bar should be at 40 now.
Go back to Material tab, Diffuse color, change to green and while mouse cursor is over the color selection field press I key again.

There now should be 2 yellow bars on the timeline, two marked keyframes.

Switch Rendered view in 3dview window, mouse click on different frames in Timeline, see color changes on the Cube.

-It’s alright! Its a question of including Nodes for editor output and render output.

-Colours on materials is pretty the same and just requires the two different input nodes
to be different.

Then you just need to insert key frames again by hovering the mouse cursor over the operative,
to transition value. Here’s what I did in the end.

Though for common sense, really, the red node should just be sitting there as the top one.

Attachments