"Fake or Photo" : Please read text before respondi

Alias has a “Fake or Photo” game that challenges users to pick which images are Maya-generated CG and which ones are real.

http://www.alias.com/eng/etc/fakeorfoto/index.html

however, I think that images like this:

http://centralsource.com/blenderart/albums/userpics/10050/tornillos1.jpg

are in the same ballpark. Might be fun to collect everybody’s photo-real images in one place (here), and put together a little Blender “Fake or Photo” game to show off some Blender work.

If I see enough photo-real CG work here (and I mean, objectively, looks like a photo), I’ll be happy to put together a little game page that could be dropped into either Elysiun or the Blender site.

image credit: Screws - by Pucks

Fake. Why would it be a foto?

this isn’t the game

I’m just using this as an example of some photo-realistic Blender art.

I dunno who made that photo…but you should give out his name.

and, it looks fake. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I never seen photo-real image made in blender that are similar quality as the one of alias website. They are just very good looking picture…but no where near competing with real photo…

sorry to break your fun

Looks fake to me

there was a thread on those alias pictures a few weeks ago [which I can’t seem to find, damn search doesn’t keep track of all words]

well anyway, I’d have to agree with the alias ones that the photos they used are … well, not what people try to do in cg, they don’t look photo realistic either

[and that other apps can do a lot more photorealistic stuff, probably so can maya, than the stuff shown there]

I think the grain on your image is too much, and the screws are oddly lacking in defects [so is the coin]

the wood, however, looks very good [is it just a textured plane?]

You guys crack me up.

SevenString mentioned something that may or may not be fun for some people. The people who responded, did so only to belittle his suggestion.

And no… you’re not sorry. If you were, you would have just let it be since the idea obviously doesn’t interest you. Instead you give SevenString a hard time.

Most of the people on this forum are pretty dang awesome, but it seems that the most vocal ones are the ones to quickly jump on people for suggesting things you’re not interested in… or for not using enough AO… or for not using toon rendering.

Crazy! All of ya’s… crazy!

[end senseless ranting here]

And SevenString, I like the idea. If for no other reason than to celebrate some of the very talented blender artists in this community.

And no… you’re not sorry. If you were, you would have just let it be since the idea obviously doesn’t interest you. Instead you give SevenString a hard time.

Most of the people on this forum are pretty dang awesome, but it seems that the most vocal ones are the ones to quickly jump on people for suggesting things you’re not interested in… or for not using enough AO… or for not using toon rendering.

Crazy! All of ya’s… crazy!

[end senseless ranting here]

And SevenString, I like the idea. If for no other reason than to celebrate some of the very talented blender artists in this community.[/quote]

First off, YOU shall calm down right away. You don,t seems to be here for a long time and you’re already part of the “most vocal one” it seems. I don’t post soooo often, so when I post I make sure my post isn’t a bunch of crap.

I gave my fucking point of view on the idea of making such a game. for me it looks completly useless since there are NO true photorealistic image made with blender, BUT maybe I’M totally wrong…maybe I’ve not been here for long enough to see most of the pic produce by blender uh…

I don,t see your point of basicly flaming me because of what I said. The idea does not interest me for the simple fact that there is no logic point of making it, EXCEPT if he find photorealistic image…which the pic up there isn’t really. It’s a great pic, very great! but not photorealistic enough for such a “game to promote blender”.

So please, next time think a bit more before posting such a reply.

Umm. . he did.

-Obiwan

He didn’t before, he just edited his post right now. :wink:

First off, let me apologize publicly for quoting X-WARRIOR and in effect, singling him out. That was very hypocritical of me and served no purpose.

My main rant was that people coming into this community who want to get better or offer their opinion often get a heaping helping of “you suck” right along with a helpful critique. It’s hard for many… ok, ME to feel much motivation to apply the critique when the initial words were construed as “I suck”.

Anyways, I knew what I meant to say generally, and apologize for making it personal.

Here are some of the feeble attempts I have made at photo-real images. Believe me, I know I failed, but I figured I would try to contribute something to this thread to make up for derailing it earlier…

These attempts are a year or two old, so please forgive the lack of OSA and smoothing…
Headset
Nalgene
Visor

This last one I tried last week… better than those old ones, but still a LONG ways to go…

Diet Coke

hmm… .I’ve seen the maya’s fake or foto, and even my wife could spot the correct ones… well, that’s ofcourse old test. nowadays, it would be harder I guess…

but, eventho I’m not that keen on photorealism, I have nothing against a test like this with blender. would be fun I think… at least to see how much blender streches.

.b

fake - it’s an old pic made with yafray

Would be a nice idea…the only problem is this… we don’t see too much photorealistic stuff here on the forum… I mean it … I would like to see more of it …

md01

He didn’t before, he just edited his post right now.

Incorrect… my edit was BEFORE x-warrior’s post about crediting the artist.

And thanks to those with positive (or at least neutral) responses.

As for the rest of you, the last time I checked, this was a BLENDER forum. However, I’ve been noticing a trend lately where anytime someone suggests the POSSIBILITY that an artist using Blender might be able to produce work that is comparable to that produced with the so-called professional apps, it turns into a stupid flame war, belittling the very app that this forum is here to promote and support.

EVERYONE knows that the image that I posted is fake, because either you’ve already seen it, or you notice that a) the coin is one that would never exist in real life, or b) that the image grain level is a little too high to be realistic, or c) some other more subtle tell-tale.

I said “IN THE SAME BALLPARK”. In American slang, this means CLOSE TO. As in “this image is CLOSE TO the level of work that I’m talking about.”

I never said that THIS image would necessarily fool you, but my meaning was that it is on the right track.

What benefit do you get from pi$$ing all over this idea? If you’re not interested in participating, then it has no relevance to you.

Well, I dont know why so many people have objected to the idea, personally it seems a great way to show of peoples talent in a way that others want to join in. I (personally) think some of the work done in blender is very realistic, and perhaps not photo-realistic only because of the situation.

This thread (the answers) is freaking me out. The next person to say ‘fake’ shall be slapped hard on the forehead.

X-Warrior: penitentman has 0.06 posts per day, so calling him ‘most vocal one’ is off. No intention to make enemies, man.

Umm… so I took the bait instead of trying to blend something photoreal.

Actually I think that this subject would be a great exercise for us. And if you think that a 3d render alone can “only” give you photo real results you haven’t been using 3d that long. It is possible to composite realism in a basic 3d render using Photoshop or Gimp, etc. It has been done for years by 3d artist.

Maybe we could pick a reference image that is a real world photo and lighting involving something like wood blocks, glass marbles, nails or concrete covered pavement. Such elements are not hard to model and the textures are easy to duplicate with photos from the web. We could set up a scene of a collection of real would elements and place them inside of a box (Cornell box so to speak). Then we could put this collection in good but simple lamp lighting, etc. and take a digital photo of it. Finally we could try to duplicate this real photo with Blender, Yafray, AO, etc. We could also list the methods that we used in detail and the render times, etc.

This could result in helping some of us to find to the best path to achieving 3d realism in our own renders.

Everything from light intensity to shadow depth can be tweaked in a 2d app with the use of multipass rendering or rendering out to separate elements of your image in different secularity, shadow, diffuse passes.

Sometimes more often than not photorealism in 3d is achieved with multipass rendering compositing techniques. And we can mistakenly attribute this quality to the power of a tweaked “scanline” render pass in a 3d software app.

AO rendering , Yafray, Mentalray, V-Ray, etc. can allow just about any artist to render something good without all the tweaking and compositing. This is also known as 3d lighting, texturing and compositing skills. But Yafray rendering, etc. can take up precious time away from your project. Multipasss photorealism is way faster than Yafray or AO rendering. And with Blenders improved raytracing engine multipass rendering is so much better now in Blender.

Right off the top, using real photo textures, diffuse, and spec maps in your work and a good study and application of the lighting principles that are found in the real world can give you photo real results. All this can be done without the wait that tweaking and rendering that Yafray and AO renders involve.

Did you know that most seasoned 3d pros don’t rely on the power of a 3d software rendering engine to produce 3d realism all of the time? They do rely on their practiced and speedy methods of multipass rendering and compositing.

Blend on!

Incorrect… my edit was BEFORE x-warrior’s post about crediting the artist.

Just what I was about to say :P.

-Obiwan

I personally think this is a great idea, if looked at as a forum post rather than just a simple “fake or foto” idea. The difference being as JA-forreal mentioned, this provides the opertunity to provide suggestions and feed back, and also to share techniques used to achive the results.

And it does not need to be restricted to a simply photo-realistic render. Perhaps combining renders with actual stills (or even movies) can also fall into this category.

If nothing else, the idea is also great for not only just displaying completed works, but for encouraging others to create and share in this area as well. Simply calling it a stupid idea because there are no or few such examples currently exhibited on the elYsiun forums is simply being closed minded. But I’m not interested in joining the flame, just show support for the idea.