Faking a Shadow Buffer (Game Engine)

I’m trying to find a way to make shadows in the game engine without using a spotlight. I used the Unreal Engine back in the day and what it did was it would “render” the shadows onto the textures based on the light source. Is there a way to do this? Or is there a way to use shadow buffers with other light types aside from the spotlight?

Render baking is what you’re looking for. Shadow baking specifically.

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-243/render-baking/

And even more specifically, you’ll have to create seperate uv maps for all your objects and use lowres maps with the shadows baked in, set to multiply your existing, more tileable and hi-rez textures. If you have trouble figuring it out, just say and someone (or me) will probably be along to help soon.

I think baking would do this. I used the unreal engine too…damn that thing is buggy.
This should be the page you want. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Render_Bake

Edit: NOEZ YOU BEAT ME TO IT. >.<

Wow thanks that sounds like what I need. I will try it out in the future and report back soon.

I don’t seem to get the effect that I am looking for. What I really won’t is for objects to cast shadows inside the game engine. The only way to do this I have found is by enabling shadow buffer with a spot light. What I won’t to do is find a work around so that I can have this same effect in a game engine without having spotlight’s everywhere greatly decreasing frame rate not to mention the limitations of spotlights.

I’m building a map for the game engine and the map doesn’t look real enough for what I’m trying to do. All I need is for objects to cast shadows based of a light source and everything would be great in the ascetic department. However I don’t see any way to do that. Maybe I’m doing something wrong? Do my UV’s all need to be inside one texture? Because I’m using tiled textures so all the UV’s are not inside the 0 to 1 texture plane.

Edit: I get the same effect whether the UV’s are in the 0 to 1 texture plane or not.

Oh I see what I was doing wrong. I’m going to mess around with it some more.