Faking dimples on an object

Hi guys,

So I’m trying to recreate the following image:

As you can see from it that there are multiple dimples in the material and to save my gpu from a meltdown I decided to create mine like this:

No my question is, how do I go about creating those dimples in a rendered version of my model? I was thinking of using a bump map and a normal map but a lot of the places I’ve looked state that I need to create a high-poly version of my model, “bake it” and then place it on my lower poly model… Except I don’t want to have to do that :S

Any ideas?

You don’t have to do that. It’s one way to do what you want, not the only way.

You have relatively simple dimples that will tile well. You could make a bump map by hand, maybe use one of many tools to convert the bump to normals if you want. You could also make a dimple mesh and render it to height (output z component of position as color). You could also make a mesh and output its normals, remapped to 0,1 space, as colors.

Normals Matcap - learned that trick myself yesterday. Simply beautiful :slight_smile: I would do it using a bunch of concentric circles with reducing vert count (I didn’t check you image so mine is off), using dupliverts to clone a half sphere with edge kinda flattened. View from top against a flat surface and activate MatCap using the normals map:

look at this thread
nice video to do it

happy bl

For something this simple, it’s not required to snap geometry. You’re only interested in getting the same blue on the edge of the dimple as on the flat circle. So the outer two or so edges of the dimple mesh is at same elevation, that’s all that matters for a flat normal, perfectly blending with the flat normal underneath it.

It’s still valid for other more complex scenarios though.

This might be the best option for me, except I’m not sure I understand how I can achieve that, even with the image :L Could you explain a little more?

I agree, also I don’t think I can go below the initial surface using this anyway (Though could be wrong?)