Faking Yafray

Ok here’s a little experiment I tried out today. As many will know Yafray isn’t suitable for animations because it either flickers or you need 10 years to render (Grrr). So I have tried to fake it using only Blender’s internal in my scene:

http://squiggle.goldeye.info/experiments.htm

Anybody else know of ways to fake Yafray?

I find that blender’s Ambient Occlusion function can be used to create some very realistic-looking lighting as well.

It’s all lighting. Ao and Radiocity do the trick. You may try the easy way out. BRayBaker script (www.alienhelpdesk.com) You can Bake Yafray’s lighting right into the texture itself. Try it out.

Really? I didn’t know that. Yafray is usually faster than Blender internal in my renders. We’re talking of approximately the same image quality, right?

AO is a good option and I’ve had some success with that.

Radiosity I find is a bit of a hassle, especially on complex scenes.

I’ve tried the BRayBaker script, but never got it to work. There were always faces that would vanish after the script had run. Maybe I’ll have another crack at it.

Really? I didn’t know that. Yafray is usually faster than Blender internal in my renders. We’re talking of approximately the same image quality, right?

I’m suprised you find Yafray faster. Maybe on a very basic scene they’d render in a similar amount of time. But for more complex scenes I find that the samples, and shadow quality have to be incresed to prevent the ‘staining’ that is produced. i.e. in the corners of objects, and where objects are furthest away from the light sources.
Maybe you have some tips on how to keep render times down?

I’ve found sometimes Yafray can beat Blender when the detail is very high with a bunch of Blender features High AO, etc.) I have not tried Yafray for animations due to long render times. Everything for animation is about faking anyway unless you are very patient.

I’v never had a problem with animating with yafray. In fact I prefer to use it in animation over the blender internal as it is quicker.