Falling to the dark

so 2 days ago i had a vision of a scene , the one your looking at below .
i am not sure which one is beater, the one with the depth of flied of the one without ,

it took me 5 hours to render it with 200 samples + denoiser
this are some of the scene

you can also check some of the brackscene on my art station
https://www.artstation.com/alfanas

also if you have anyquestion just ask
and C&C are welcome

17 Likes

I really love the concept. But I think the viewing angle is a bit too flat.

It doesn’t provide a natural path back towards the actor.

Lighting by the elbows is odd. What are these - baseboard lights?

The look, expression, and theme is very cool though

1 Like

Looking good so far. I think the one with the depth of field is the better of the two images, but what might look cool, and I think I have seen it used in movies before, is to have the phone and person both in focus but use the depth of field on the rest of the image. Probably will have to combine layers to get the effect.

1 Like

thank you so much
yes i am still working on the composition thing, it,s still new to me
and yes thy are something like baseboard lights :slight_smile:

thank you so much for your feed back ,
i wanted to do something like that but i fegurd its going to take some extra time , maybe the next one ill remember this kind of thing

and also sorry for not replaying sooner :slight_smile:

greet work …love the expression and pose…

1 Like

thank you so much, :slight_smile:

1 Like

First pic is great. Reminds Lara Croft.

1 Like

yeah, i actually thought that too when i finished rendering it :slight_smile:
thanks though

The one without depth of view is better in my opinion. This is because the one with the blurr does not tell the whole story, it hides that part of it. Yep, can’t tell what anything is with depth of view, only the characters expression. But maybe that’s what you want, is the viewer to only focus on the character and nothing else?

The composition is good the way you pointed her fingers at the phone. But with the depth of view all she points at is a blurr.

1 Like

yeah, your right , i wanted to make the focuse on both the girl and the phone, to make the whole composition full with the story talling, but i didnt know how to mix both focuse together,
thank you alot :slight_smile:

I checked your profile on the art station. it’s good, but you have a problem with one thing. it’s rain. Drops look too big and they are too few. it’s more like freezing water or falling icicles. So you need to make them look small and increase the number (about 200,000-300,000 particles). Here, maybe this will help

1 Like

The droplet sizes might depend on the altitude. I heard in the mountains the size of rain is really big.

I looked at the rendering again, and they do look big, even up in the mountain altitude.

@UserGreat @humanartist thank you so much, for the link and for the feedback
the rain drops are truly big, i notesed that after rendering,

at first i mad thim small size, but thin thy didnt catch as much light as i wanted thim, nor the refrected and reflected the area around thim, and i found that the only way is to make it,s size bigger ,but with the cost of an unnatural look ,
and about the amount of the drops that i didnt notes only now :slight_smile:
but ill try to improve this on future renders

I really like it. The DoF issue could perhaps be resolved by flipping the phone over and giving it a characteristic texture for a standard mobile phone display plugged into an emission shader. This way even with a bit of DoF blur, it will be recognisable as a phone. And it might even add to the scene lighting (for the head of the character maybe?)

1 Like

thank you so much
actually the phone monetor is up, but i didnt made it bright,
fuuny i never thought of that actually !!!

I actually got curious about this and wondered if I could get both objects to be in focus.

So what I did was to render out the scene with the the DOF, I used f-stop 0.5 with Suzanne as the focus point. For the object in the foreground I had it on a separate layer to the rest of the scene, both layers were rendered at the same time but for the foreground object I went to Properties panel, clicked on the Object tab, then Cycles Settings and under Ray Visibility I unchecked the Camera box.
After the scene was rendered out the foreground object was not in it but it’s shadow was. I saved this image to my desktop.

Next I went to the Render tab in the Properties Panel and checked the Transparent box under Film.
I then went to the Camera tab and changed the f-stop setting to f19. Also I checked the Camera box under Ray Visibility. Then I selected the layer with the foreground object on it and rendered this out as a layer with a transparent background.

In the compositor I hit shift A and went to Input and Clicked on Image, for this I selected the image I had saved to the Desktop, then I combined the image of the foreground object with the image of the background image using a Colour Alpha Over node.

Maybe this will be of some use.

1 Like

“Whatever that very-important thing is in the foreground” – and, what is that thing? – I think that it needs a key-light (to give reflections … not a spotlight shining on the table), of a carefully-chosen contrasting color.

I know that “this thing” must be the most-important object in the entire scene, since the character is crawling forward to reach it, but I honestly don’t know what the thing is, nor what it’s supposed to mean. The image is obviously trying to “tell a story,” but I simply can’t figure out what “the story” is.

1 Like

@caz747 thank you so much fot info,
i thought about rendering the phone in another render layer, but i didnt see how good this will be,
this info you just gave will definitely help , ill try it and ask for more if, i couldint understand
thank you so much :slight_smile:

@sundialsvc4 thank you so much for the feedback
i am not good at seting up lights "although i did watch some videos about seting up lights "
so i definitely dont know waht is a key light on 3d
the object in the forground is a cellphone
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EeWg8
the idea of the img is " there is something that about to happens to her, it might be a reason to lose her life, and the only why she,d save her self is the cellphone
this was one of the very few scenes that i made with a care for the lights the composition and the story telling, so yeah it needs some improvments

needs smaller rain drops and more of them additionally rain should always be back lit to get the right effect. Did you just draw drops or did you use particles with motion blur. I think you might get better results with the latter.

1 Like