Fantasy animal field guide page - 2D grease pencil painting

Here is the final piece! It was made entirely in Blender - painted with grease pencil, with the fonts being added in Blender as well.

I’ve been really enjoying getting back into creature design and making these mock nature journal pages. This is just a personal piece I made in between commissions.

If you’d like to see more of my work, you can find all my links and social media here: https://www.sophiejantak.com/

Thanks for checking out my work :slight_smile:

64 Likes

Very convincing. I love seeing what the imagination can come up with.

2 Likes

thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Ahh yes i already found you on YT… a totally different way of using blender. Thanks for teaching me. Even if i didn’t used the new grease pencil tools (i more know the old one which was more like the annotate tool)…

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! So beautifulll

2 Likes

Hey cool, in Blender

2 Likes

Go to Sophie’s Youtube channel for the best grease pencil tutorials.
Stay for the giant smile she paints on your face!

1 Like

This is awesome ! all with grease pencil ? can you show a wireframe to get an idea of the linework ? I’m super curious. I didn’t think it possible to obtain this kind of result. Did you use textured strokes ?

1 Like

Amazing concept, I really love it :slight_smile: Please keep it up with more fantasy creatures.

Maybe you could do flora as well, not just fauna, if not already :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have to look at her YouTube channel! Really ! You have to (and any body else).

And i’m always struggleing: Do i use Gimp or Krita the next time i have to manipulate an image… NOOO just use you favorite app: Blender for everything… Well it also has a text editor… :wink:
Okay i’m getting a little overexited and not ever. But to be honest i newer open a new file in another mode/template than General… and 2D Animation is essential a animateble drawing app… :star_struck:… i did know Blender is bigger than i know… but soo muchhh bigggerrr … :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This is an extraordinary piece of work, and a brilliant use of textured brushes. Great work!

1 Like

I’m glad you like it! Yes all with grease pencil. Here is what it looks like in wireframe (with my anatomy studies visible just outside of the camera, haha)

Getting this kind of look is all about having LOTS of very small strokes (in my experience). I don’t use textured strokes, but I do use a lot of image textures which I then paint on top of - in a sort of collage style. This video explains my process with that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

thank you! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the breakdown. The wireframe itself looks really rad !

1 Like

I love this, It’s so beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Congratulations, this work has been nominated for the ‘Best of Blender Artists 2022’ award in the #animals category! You can vote for it here.