Farmerjoe Renderfarm useful ?

Hello, I have recently built a small 4 node renderfarm using the Farmerjoe Program. The four nodes are comprised of very good computers with each having at least 3 gig Ram. The farm appears to be working correctly as I have had no error messages. I have been rendering short simple animations containing around 200 frames each. I have rendered quite a few animations so far. It seems to me that the renderfarm is pretty slow, in fact so slow that I have rendered the same files on only one pc the old fashioned way and it rendered faster then the renderfarm ! I’m confused isn’t a render farm supposed to make rendering faster ? If there are any users of Farmerjoe who might shed some light on what is going on I would appreciate your advice. Thank you. Also does anyone know if the master node actually helps render the job or is it just used to control the farm ?

The farm is setup on windows xp.

Have you used the AppServer feature? It might shed some light on what’s going on. Your master can render as well, but you have to tell it to. After you start FarmerJoe as a master on your master, run it again as a slave and it will be a slave and render too.

Randy

Thanks. I tried it and it did work.

I have also found that on hyper-threading machines as well as multiple core pcs it is possible to run more then one slave on each machine. This has really sped things up a bit. Now I render very quickly, I am liking it very much.

Do you also know if it is possible to change the colors and logo for farmerjoe appserver ?

No I was going to ask the developer about that as I’d like to change that also, he would have to release the source though, I’m not sure he has done that.

I thought maybe it was written in the perl script.

Have either of you looked at the 1st paragraph of the farmerjoe.pl file?

Randy

Found it on line 1933 file : farmerjoe.pl

<title>Farmerjoe - The Blender Render Farmer</title>
<style type=“text/css”>

Then change what you want for the farmerjoe --appserver

It is only working if you start the perl script instead of the binary.