Fast Lathe Add on

I tried using your script today and got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Matthew\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\fastlathe.py”, line 56, in invoke
bpy.ops.mesh.primitive_vert_add()
File “C:\Users\Matthew\Desktop\Blender\blender-2.78.0-git.67bef6b-windows64\2.78\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py”, line 189, in call
ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
AttributeError: Calling operator “bpy.ops.mesh.primitive_vert_add” error, could not be found

I can not reproduce your error.
Have you uninstalled the previous version of the addon,before install the last one ?

the name of your file seems odd : have you renamed anything ? because I see fastlathe.p y . There should be NO space between the P and Y.
Also, Be sure to be in object mode and use the last version of Blender.

I’ll investigate further.

Edit : Maybe a wrong copy-paste happened. I already met this on trying addons of other people.
A good way to download the addon is to rightclick-save as on the raw button.

The screw modifier when applied together with solidify creates some artifacts in the center of the mesh created. This is because the screw modifier does not match the vertices of the center. So it does not create a clean object in this region. Would there be some way to add in your addon the remove doubles to avoid these artifacts? Sorry for my english google.

using romove dobles

Pressing “calc order” in screw modifier results a little better but continues with artifacts.

Have you seen this thread … https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?421182-Remove-doubles-addon-for-Bezier-curves
Maybe you can use the same for lathe_free;

I see.
Thanks for the report, I checked your calc order idea. It makes a cleaner mesh indeed.
It works for polygon meshes, but apparently for curves (lathe_libre), it seems not needed.
So I will look your link for lathe_free.

*** The addon has been updated with the calc order turned on. ***

I’ll see how to implement the removes doubles, but it will be difficult, because the doubles appear only when the modifiers are applied.

Try the following :
1 - make lathe
2 - select all by pressing A and press w - remove doubles : result 0 vertices removed
3 - apply modifiers in object mode, then return in edit mode - select all by pressing A and press W - remove doubles : result in a lot of vertices removed (382 by eg)

I also tried the high quality normals, but it’s even worse.

Thank you. I have done it this way. I was just wondering if it would be possible to do it automatically.

I found a workaround for double issues.
I made a new operator “make a clean object”.

Once you finished your lathe, go to object mode and use the operator (for now still in the shift A->mesh menu).
It will automatically convert the object for you, select all vertices and remove doubles.

I still have to clean things out and get feedbacks, so for now it’s in this experimental branch link.
It is not working well with edge split modifier, because it removes the effect , even with low values.

The main link in first post is untouched at this date.

Great work. There is still an edge joining the two centers of the mesh, but it does not disturb the look of the mesh. Maybe in an animation, but I find it difficult.
Thanks again.

Thanks to the hard work of Campbell Barton and Lazydodo, the screw modifier has been improved in the last blender 2.79 builds.
Now, the modifier has a ‘merge vertices’ option , with a threshold setting , which remove doubles.
Really good job! thank you very much.

Hi!
to answer to private mails,
Most of the add on code has been rewritten for 2.8 .
The casual lathe part is ok, but the free lathe still struggle, because the “draw freehand spline” is now a tool.
It is cool to draw without having to press shift + anything, but I still have to figure how to handle this correctly.
If someone has a tip to summon the tool, I am listening :slight_smile:
Please, be patient.
Thank you.