Faster mesh tools?

I’m still a Blender newb and currently working very slowly, constructing a mesh. I would love to know if I could speed things up:

• Is there a command to quickly delete floating, unconnected vertices?
  • Is there a faster way to create quads than selecting 4 points or 2 edges and pressing F? Is there a way of creating a ring of faces all at once?
  • Related to the above, how do I ‘bridge’ between two meshes? I have a rectangular hole in one object and want to connect a cube to it - do I have to create the 4 connecting faces manually or is there a faster way?

For this you can use the Bridge function in the Loop Tools addon which is in every Blender build now. More info on this addon:

https://sites.google.com/site/bartiuscrouch/looptools

• Is there a command to quickly delete floating, unconnected vertices?

in 2.57b you should have
In Edit Mode, click on Select -> Loose Verts/Edges

in 2.49b you shoule have
In Edit Mode, click on Select -> Non Triangles/Quads

(i don’t know the keyboard shortcut for them)

Then you press Delete

• Is there a faster way to create quads than selecting 4 points or 2 edges and pressing F? Is there a way of creating a ring of faces all at once?

Not sure it’s what you’re lookig for, but if you have lots of vertices in a closed fashion like this example :
http://i.imgur.com/3Gggm.jpg

In 2.49b press SHIFT + F (or click Mesh -> Faces -> Fill)
In 2.57b press ALT + F (or click Mesh -> Faces -> Fill)
to fill the closed selection like this :
http://i.imgur.com/aC7Yw.jpg

Sometime Beautify Fill can re-arrange the faces in a different layout that may be more satisfying after generating those faces
by pressing ALT+F in 2.49b (Mesh -> Face -> Beautify Fill)
or SHIIFT+ALT+F in 2.57b (Mesh -> Face -> Beautify Fill)

Then press ALT+J (or click Mesh -> Faces -> Tris to Quads) for both 2.49b/2.57b to convert the triangles into quads.

Thanks, guys, that’s very helpful. Unfortunately Fill doesn’t work as I’d like, it ignores points (or edges, same behaviour) along the ring.

Attachments

I have same type of problem with 2.57 facing.

That kind of facing with 2.49 works fine; select edges, hot key F, select Skin Faces / Edge-Loops.

Use the Bridge function in the LoopTools addon.

With F->Skin Faces/Edge-Loops I keep getting the error “No Vertloops found.” How is a loop defined in Blender? If I have a row of faces missing from a simply-subdivided cube (see picture above) and I select the verts or edges around the hole, I would have thought that’s my loop.

Actually, I see what the problem is, it only works if the whole row of faces is missing, it doesn’t work on a hole in the row. The upside is that Fill works on a hole, though only if the entire hole loop is selected. Even then, if the hole goes across three sides of the cube, it creates faces odd faces in a corner.

Attachments

For the third time… It doesn’t work reliably, I’m seeing again the problem I had before. F doesn’t work, Fill works only in certain circumstances and only up to a point. I simply can’t work out what this all depends on.

Attachments