Favorite/Most Hated Books

(CubeFan973) #1

What are your favorite and most hated books?

1. The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka (fiction–explain a guy turning into a giant bug overnight)
  2. Sugar Isn’t Everything, by Willo Davis Roberts (fiction, kind of a young person’s guide to diabetes)
  3. Emergence: Labeled Autistic, by Temple Grandin (non-fiction, about the author’s life as an autistic)

Most hated book: “Cujo.” Yuck. It took me a week to finish the book, whereas with “The Dead Zone,” which is longer by about 100 pages, it took me 3 or 4 days! “Cujo” was boring, filled with dumb sub-plots, and nothing accelerated until the last 50 pages… in which nothing happens that you haven’t heard about before. Never read “Cujo” if you love cats, you’ll love dogs even more.

(Goofster) #2

Favourite book: The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch.

1000 pages (jikes) but it blew my mind.

worst book…ehmmmmm… I only read good books :smiley:

(valarking) #3

Favorites:
I pick just 3! I gotta mention more…

1. Lord of the Rings
  2. Dune
  3. The Silmarillion (where my nick came from)
  4. The Sword and the Crown
  5. The Eagle of the Ninth
  6. Warrior Scarlet
  7. The Mark of the Hose Lord
  8. Beowulf (No, I’m not insane, thank you very much.)

You can see I’m a Tolkien guy. :wink:
I don’t casually read very much because I get so many books for school. I get approx. 4-6 300+ page books a week! In 9th grade. So these are mostly (with the exception of Tolkien’s work and Dune) some of the better books I got for school.

Ahhhh, now for hated books:

1. Dune Messiah (AHHHH!!! BAD!)
  2. Children of Dune (Read most of it, never got past it. Horrible. I don’t read to hear stuff about the many intricicies of a culture OR philosophical rants. I save those for Humanities.)

That’s it. I never really dislike a book I read, because with the exception of school books (which are actually pretty good most of the time) I don’t read a book unless I’m sure I’ll like it.

(digitalSlav) #4

anything by Clive Barker rocks!

(ectizen) #5

A few favourites:Diaspora by Greg Egan

Melway (Edition 29) by Melway Publishing :o

Pyramids by Terry Pratchett

Steel Beach by John Varley

A few most hated:Centuries by A.A. Attanasio

Crash Course C++ in 15 Days by some windows-centric VB weenie :x

The Fire Worm by Ian Watson

(pofo) #6

This is hard, there are so many good books :wink:
But here are a few favorites:

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson (a very funny book with a serious side ;))

Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien (one of the first I read)

A Song of Stone - Iain M Banks (different, read it)

A zillion others - Other authors (too many to recall or write down ;))

Then there are of course alot of crappy books too. For example Statistikteori med tillämpningar by Blom & Holmkvist, I won’t read that one again.

1. pofo

(cree) #7

Favourites

Man’s Fate by Andre Malraux

1984 by George Orwell

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle

Le Petit Prince by Antoine Saint Exupere

Walden and the Essays on Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau

The Trial by Franz Kafka

Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse

White Fang by Jack London

Call of the Wild by Jack London

The Great Depression by Pierre Berton

As for books I hate, I do not hate books, but some books are obviously better than others. I had to read quite a few textbooks in University, some were interesting, while others were not.

As for books which are written by “authors” who know absolutely nothing about writing books: Positioning by Al Ries and Jack Trout

As of this moment this “book” serves as an anti - carpel tunnel syndrome prevention wrist support pad while operating a mouse. The writing is so bad, its only function is to prevent wrist injury, otherwise I would use it as a firestarter when I go snowshoeing and needed paper to start a fire to keep warm in the Northern Ontario bush when its -40 celsius or -40 fahrenheit ( for American readers).

(Jolly Gnome) #8

Favourite: all H. P. Lovecraft
Hated: no such thing

(IMProvisar) #9

Favorite? #1 The Count of Monte Cristo Alexandre Dumas. When the most recent movie came out, I looked and looked for my old copy, and couldn’t find it. So, I went to the book store because I really wanted to re-read it before I saw the movie. I ended up getting mad and buying the one with the movie cover because the one I was given in highschool was abridged and I didn’t know it! The movie verson was about twice the volume at about the same font, so I read the covers to figure out why the difference. The movie-cover version is translated to English… the book I was given in school was “translated and abridged”. ERRRRR. Tough read, but well worth it. Funny… the hero has so much swordplay in the movie, but never raises a sword in the book. (comes close, but doesn’t).

#2 Toss up between Stranger in a Strange Land and Time Enough for Love… both Robert A. Heinlein (Can’t believe no one mentioned him). The runner up and many others of his would probably fill #3 through #8-10 or so. Haven’t read a Heinlein book I didn’t love.

Favorite after that… The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith.

I don’t get to read as much as I’d like.

As for books I hate… I don’t hate any I’ve read, but I’m sure there are some out there. (know of one, but I won’t mention it).

Imp

(macouno) #10

For those that enjoy a good sci fi.

Go read Peter F. Hamilton’s “Night’s Dawn Trilogy”

Best bloody books ever… imho

(hermy) #11

loved:
3d modeling & surfacing - bill flemming

hated:
mastering regular expressions - jeffrey friedl

i’m not into romans :o , i wait until there’s the movie.

(Nayman) #12

this is a must read

Adrift: Steven Callahan

True story about a man who survived for 76 adrift at sea in a raft. His boat struck a whale, and sank during a solo, transatlantic voyage. He lived of rain water, and fish fro 3 months.

If you ever think you are having a bad day, or need some inspiration… read a few pages of this book. Steven callahan is a wonderful author that fills his story with uplifting moral messages, as asks questions about the human psyche, and exploring the innermost workings of our minds…

Great book.

Worst? I could not read any of the Red mars…blue mars… green mares b ooks.

(WeirdHat) #13

My absolute favorite book is Watership Down. I recommend it to just about anyone. The sequel, Tales From Watership Down, is pretty good too.

The following is a list of books that I like a lot, but aren’t really my favorite (some of them I haven’t read in a while, but I remember I liked them when I read them):

Lord of the Rings.

How to Lie with Statistics.

Flatland. The sequel, Sphereland, is also good.

The Cartoon Guide to Statistics.

All the Sherlock Holmes stories.

All three My Father’s Dragon books.

Goodnight Moon.

Anything by Roald Dahl.

All of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy books, except Mostly Harmless, what the hell was that one about? I think I like the TV miniseries better, it has a more satisfying ending.

The Little Prince.

Digital Character Animation 2, Volume 1.

Digital Character Animation 2, Volume 2.

Juggling for the Complete Klutz.

The Joy of Pi.

Hmm… maybe I’ll read all of those books now.

(IMProvisar) #14

ROFL… there’s a book called “The Joy of Pi”?

I got on a Pi kick once, added a few digits to my memory each day… I quit because I thought it was provoking mental instability. :o

Imp

PS - 3.1415926535897932384626433…

And yes… that was from memory, but I did run it through Pi Trainer to check that it was correct. :slight_smile:

(S68) #15

Favourite: The Lord of the Rings

Stefano

(rwv01) #16

I like how Sherlock Holmes was so sumersed in his own persuits that he wasn’t even aware that the earth revolves around the sun and not vise versa because such knowledge was totaly erelevant to him.

“Now that I know it I shall do my best to forget it!”

(CubeFan973) #17

Another book I love: “The Giver,” by Lois Lowry. Kind of a futuristic story about this kid who is given a job to be a reciever, then learns a horrid truth about the society he lives in. (If you’re going to read it, remember: The society is in black-and-white, but the memories and changes are colored.) Oh, and while not the best book ever, “House Of Stairs” is a good book similar to “Cube,” which I love so much.

IMProvisar: Never read a Heinlein book, but have read “And He Built A Crooked House,” a short story, simply because I like stuff on hypercubes. It’s about this guy who builds a house out of 8 cubes in the shape of a hypercube unfolded into the third dimension (hypercubes are 4-dimensional cubes), then finds that it’s folded into a real hypercube.

WeirdHat: Tried to read Flatland. I couldn’t get past the entire explanation of that two dimensional world. I was thinking, “All right, just leave those things up to me and get to the story!” Also, it’s pretty insulting to women (I know, the author lived in a time where women were considered unimportant, but they’re not exactly brainless), and just how do you explain pregnancy? I didn’t need that explanation of how they can see people if all they see is a line; just let me imagine the story! I eventually thought, “Never mind, this is extremely boring.” “The Joy Of Pi?” I’ve got the first 15 digits memorized, too lazy to memorize the other 15 I have access to. Never thought of reading the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” books more than the quotes page of the mini-series on www.imdb.com. Is it as silly as the mini-series, or did BBC do something to screw it up?

On Tolkien In general: I started reading “Lord Of The Rings,” but then I saw the movie. It felt longer than the shooting period (around a year). I’ve read “The Hobbit.” It’s good, but nowhere near as good as other books.

(Grizzly69) #18

My #1 favorite book is “Dune”.
And the Dune Chronicles is my favorite series of books philisophical rants and all. Except for the last book “Chapterhouse: Dune”. I really didn’t care that much for it.

#2 “Lord of the Rings” of course.

#3 Many tales from H.P. Lovecraft.

I used to read Stephen King but nowadays I find his work too verbose. I really like the Dark Tower series though.

Most Hated books I’ve attempted to read:

“Battlefield Earth” by L Ron Hubbard I think. I trudged halfway thru that book before giving up. And thats all I got to say about that.

“Stranger in a strange Land” and most stuff from Robert Heinlein with the exception of “Starship Troopers”.

Self help books. They suck. Only tried to read a couple and thats all it took for me to hate them.

(IMProvisar) #19

Does that mean you hated Stranger and all other Heinlein you’ve read except Starship, or Starship was the only one you hated?

I haven’t read Starship, but here’s a list of Heinlein I’ve read with a one-line description. May be missing a couple…

Stranger in a Strange Land -Human raised by Martians comes home.
Farnham’s Freehold -50’s white family knocked to a time where blacks rule the world.
Have Spacesuit Will Travel -Kids story. 2 kids save the Earth, I think.
Friday -Superhuman female frelance courrier.
The Puppet Masters -Aliens attempt to take the Earth using people as puppets.

The Man Who Sold the Moon -Collected Future History stories.
Revolt in 2100 / Methuselah’s Children -Collected Future History stories.
Time Enough for Love -The final novel of the Future History series featuring Lazarus Long.

Loved them all.

While I’m at it, I’ll ad another good one, Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. Loved it, though I think I’ve heard the sequels were just ok, and somewhat of a letdown.

Imp

(Grizzly69) #20

Starship Troopers is the only book written by Heinlein that I liked. I tried reading many of his books and they all have a certain style of writing that I don’t like. Some of the ideas in his books were pretty interesting, but you had to wade thru all this “man-woman relationship garbage” to see the idea. Its not easy to describe what I’m talking about, but I find his charactors to be stereotypical of the chauvinistic man and the submissive-appreciative woman. His writing focuses too much on the interaction between male and female. I find that quite irritating.

Starship Troopers doesn’t have all that.