FBX Export Extra Bone

I’ve been working with Unreal Engine 4 lately, but I’ve been having problems with round-tripping models and animations from UE4 to Blender and back. Blender seems to add an additional root bone to my armature.

I found a modification to the ascii exporter to prevent it from doing this, but I need some of the features only available in the binary FBX export. Does anyone know how to prevent FBX export from adding a root bone when exporting Binary FBX files?

Thanks!

I’ve been having the same problem, but I found an article that has solved it all. Take a look at this article. It may be focusing on character rigs, but the FBX export section applies to all kinds of rigs; vehicle rigs, etc. Here’s the link: http://krisredbeard.wordpress.com/tutorials/tutorial-blender-to-udk-player-model/

P.S it might be a little out of date and the python script might be arranged differently, so I do HIGHLY recommend that you do backup the scripts you’ll be modifying according to the article.

I appreciate the help. Unfortunately, I’ve seen this, but he’s editing the ascii version of the exporter, not the binary one :frowning: . The binary version is more recent and has some features I currently use, but the export script is a LOT more complicated than the ASCII exporter, and I haven’t been able to figure out how to eliminate the root node in it.

I already tested converting a vehicle rigged FBX file and importing it into UDK (yep, I’m using UDK) in the *binary format. And it works perfectly fine. I’m have a good feeling that it will work fine on UE4 although I never used UE4 before.

**As a matter of fact, I already modified my script in Blender, so I’ll give you a copy of it to make things easier for you. Here you go: https://www.mediafire.com/?330uttwzjtx399t
P.S This script is used in Blender 2.70

The destination folder is here: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.70\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx
Remember to backup before you put the script in the folder!