FBX importing not available?

I have blender 2.68 under Windows 7. I am trying to import a model, an FBX file.

Though the FBX import is checked under User Preferences>Addons , it is not available under the File menu as an import option (as for example 3DS, which exists and works just fine).
Am I missing a step to install this importer and make it available?

PS. the message “Multiple addons using the same name found!” is not for the FBX filetype. It’s DXF which is listed twice and a couple others. Btw how do I get rid of the multiple entries ?

-Christos

If you open the description for the addon in 2.68(a) you will find an explanation that only export is supported. Upgrade to 2.69 for FBX import.

Thank you Ikari, it worked just fine.

Installing 2.69 gave me no option to upgrade from 2.68 and save my preferences. So I had to set them again. Luckily I only had a few personalized preferences and 1 addon only, I also had saved a file with my startup file - so it was just 2 minutes worth.
However :

Question 1- Did I miss a way to upgrade and retain settings?
Question 2- I noticed under the ProgramFiles/Blender there are now a 2.68 and 2.69 directories. Should I delete the 2.68?
Question 3- Still some addons are listed twice should I remove? and how?

-Christos

Sorry, can’t help with this, as I am never installing Blender to my machines - I always use the zipped versions as they will spare me that kind of trouble…:wink:

Question 1- Did I miss a way to upgrade and retain settings?
Yes.
Use the zip file so you have separate installs just in case you need to go back. Then read what’s on the splashscreen in the future when you first run the new version.

Question 2- I noticed under the ProgramFiles/Blender there are now a 2.68 and 2.69 directories. Should I delete the 2.68?
It’s up to you. Makes no difference if you do or don’t