feathers with jahka patch?

are feathers possible with jahka patch(or blender 2.50)??? like really realistic

Firs of, the particle patch isn’t a patch anymore, it’s part of the blender SVN.
Second, do you mean like feathers on a bird, or feathers floating around.
I’ll do a quick test of both, but I’m sure they could both be done

You can do tons of things with the new particle system, I haven’t messed with it but it’s flooded with features the old system doesn’t have.

que foot in mouth.
I don’t really know enough about the new particle system to really help, I know that you can set an object as the particle for an emitter type, but I’m not seeing anywhere for setting an object as the particle for the hair type. sorry :frowning:

The new particle system has billboards that allow you to emit images from a surface, images of feathers for example. But the billboards are best suited for leaves on trees or trees on a mountain or rocks on the ground. The billboard doesn’t conform to the shape of the hair strand. Alternatively, you can define the shape of the hair strand in the material to change in width along the length of the strand but it is limited and you can’t make the strand wide like a feather. I guess what would be nice is if an image could be mapped to the hair strands so the image would bend with the strand after the hair is groomed. It would also be cool if geometry could be defined along the hair length like a feather shape and a feather texture applied.

Are there any decent tuts on the new system anywhere? Is it compatible with the old system?

The best documentation is as of now http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Particles_Rewrite_Doc
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Particles_Rewrite

but maybe I have missed some things. But you can be sure, there will be more documentation quite soon.

And it is absolutely in no way compatible with the old system. It maybe that there will be some kind of conversion when opening an older file, but not as of now.

i mean like bird feathers on the bird

Use DupliFaces to obtain far more control :yes:

There’s already a way to get feathers, but they’re cartoony. If you want i’ll post it later.

There’s already a way to get feathers, but they’re cartoony. If you want i’ll post it later.
Please do.

Second that one please do :slight_smile:

what did plumiferos(?) do for their movie?

Sorry about being really late on this, I’ve been busy, and forgot to check back on this thread. no time tonight, but tomarrow I’ll hopefully have time to go through my old computer for the example file.

Don’t expect really amazing results from this technique, it works best for cartoony feathers. You might be able to tweak it though.