feature proposal: decal tools

ok, so i hate to be one asking for more,
and i’m no programmer so i can’t do it myself,
but…

it is already possible to position an image using an empty, but this can lead to problems:
if you want multiple decals the empties and layers quickly mount up.

what if you could position your decal with an empty and then like a modifier apply it and it gets stamped into a uv texture. I know your can render bake it it, but this is a slow process and a bit cumbersome.

my ultimate proposal would be layers for the uv editor (not uv layers, multiple layers in the image editor). layers could be positioned both through an empty and within the image editor itself. i think this could really speed up texture creation in many situations.

i’m not suggesting we rebuild gimp in the image editor window.
but imagine your texturing a footpath, decals for sewer covers, road markings, where objects meet the ground etc. postion your empty, hit apply (the modifier, or whatever, doesn’t disappear) reposition empty, apply, move, rotate, scale, apply. quicky a whole street is textured with detail and precision.

anybody have an opinion on this? feasible/not, good idea/not?
i really don’t want to get verbally abused for asking for something for nothing, i just thought i would share what i thought was an every project, useful feature suggestion.

I think you can either go with an empty or empties

and in case that does not work bake it into an UV texture.

claas

Why don’t implement a brush feature similar to Zbrush’s DragRect (stamp your texture on the model with a single drag), instead of using empties. It would very useful for sculpting aswell…

projection painting?
though “texture modifiers” in general sound like a good and unique idea. (though I have no idea what you could do with it, that you already can’t).

also +1 for layers in image editor
also procedural textures should show as layers too (though non-editable, unless baked))

I don’t find anything bad about using empties. They might be integrated more naturally for some purposes, but generally I think they are a solution and a very good one.

But still, I like your idea about the layers - the image editor won’t have to become a second gimp for this. In fact, to offer these simple tools for basic texture editing is its major aim, I guess. And layers are pretty simple and very often useful.

edit:
scrag:: what better are texture modifiers than texture nodes?
And yeah, maybe projection painting is the right way

I would imagine texture nodes are better, so we should get some Mesh Nodes now XD.

What would be a really nice idea the an anchor tool in the texture painting, it works beautifully in sculpt mode, I don’t (Can’t find it…) understand why they haven’t implemented that yet.

UV image layers would be an awesome addition too, Also perhaps the ability to enable/ disable the various UV image layers (Via a material setting perhaps) for several different materials, that way, for example if your building tile-able road way and you need only a select few meshes to have a material with a drain cover decal on then you could enable that decal for that material.

Does that make sense? O.o :stuck_out_tongue:

well i guess layers in the image editor it is then. i’m sure its a feature thats in the long term plans anyway. its the way it works, i always wanted certain features for the game engine then i got way more than i could dream of. i’m sure we are going to get lots of useful texturing tools and more from project durian once 2.5 has fully matured.

just add a texture to a spotlight… Voila! a projector/decal

how about normalmap decals? like here http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/06/decals-demonstration-video/ (btw great project)

I can’t see real profit of decals in texturing for stills or animations but it’s great in game level creation, I don’t know if blender need this, but maybe
maybe it is possible to do with python?

if I didn’t misunderstood, aside of layers in imageviewer, what you ask could be easily achieved in the mapping panel, with a single feature, no need for modifiers: once mapped a texture to an empty and positioned where you wish, set the map to OrCo (legacy name) or Generated (new name) with an “Apply” button so that the “empty mapping” gets translated into the new one.

That’s the truth. But they don’t appear in GLSL view, for some reason. It would be nice to have a tool for it that shows the result in realtime as well.