Features Blender Should Steal

Oh wow, D3, I love your suggestions, particularly the chat/support systems to really make the community a direct part of the software. Thats amazing.

@razin, you’re welcome! I also end up remeshing out of bender a fair bit on certain models, so it would definitely be nice :slight_smile: Til then we’ll just have to endure! haha.

@GCharb, yeah I think I tried ypanels a while ago and something bugged out on my particular build. I’ll give it a go again since that was definitely before 2.79!

Very good suggestions!

PS. Apologize for big image…

How about normal docking windows instead of those alien merging windows in blender?

If lost of alien merging means lost of awesome splitting of windows : it is a bad idea.

Extrude and bevel profiles would be fantastic. Now, meshfusion looks awfully complex, it’s probably not realistic to hope for something similar, but who knows ?

Among the dormant projects iirc there is a “custom editor” that is aimed at building rig UIs and so on, so that would satisfy your point #1 (I would dig that too…).

And finally +1 for the quickslice, funny thing is there is a mesh operator that does this, called bisect. If only it was made into its own modifier ! Can’t wait for modifier nodes…

If an non-3Dcoder can make a addon with a good solution output I’m sure that a coder with a lot of experience in 3D can make a good solution without a lot of problems.

yep it’s quite awesome when you are unable to collapse annoying window, because at the bottom of that window hides another awesome window that blocks merging, so that you need to merge those two first, and only than merge what left with the main window. quite awesome. well maybe for some people messing with those cumbersome triangles is some sort of funny game, but i’d prefer to quickly tear off windows and stack them where i want them to be, like in Substance designer, Photoshop, Cinema 4d etc…

Don’t use the triangles. Use the right click menu. Split Area. Join Area.

in terms of speed or usability it’s the same, it doesn’t matter where to click, whether it’s a triangle or a line dividing windows, you will end up with lots of merging/splitting in order to obtain desirable windows layout. While having an ability to drag and dock window is faster and straight forward way dealing with windows.

Tearing and dragging might be faster now if there were some notion of active areas to drag things to… there isn’t. And tear-outs introduce design paradigms that are contrary to the non-blocking fundamentals.

I’d personally prefer improved splitting/joining controls. Currently we can’t join one window to cover the space of multiple adjoining ones. But if we could (e.g. in the default Animation layout, join the 3D View with both the Graph Editor and Dope Sheet in a single move), that would give us even faster ways of controlling our layouts. Add in the ability to adjust the size of multiple windows by dragging around the corner where they all meet and it would be even better. Basically I’d suggest stealing features from tiling window managers (like Awesome, dwm, or i3wm) for use in Blender.

The non-blocking UI is a strength of blender. The second-class multiwindow support is a bit of a weakness.

The thing is that the blender areas are not panels, toolbars or docks. You don’t have a central 3D viewport where you dock all panels. You have an area that is 3D view and other area that is the properties.

Maybe if those improvements will be in form of interaction with windows that will allow to consume the bigger windows with the smaller ones, in addition to ability to quickly swap windows with each other, ability to quickly close unwanted windows, all that may improve the situation to some degree.

The non-blocking UI is a strength of blender. The second-class multiwindow support is a bit of a weakness.

well you can pretend that rock is a submarine but it won’t swim)

what???

Translation: TheGrom doesn’t think the non-blocking UI is a strength. I personally don’t agree and I don’t think that tossing out snide metaphors is all that great of a way to have a productive discussion. However, perhaps we can still have a discussion about the beneficial features that could be borrowed from tiling window managers.

In Substance I often tear off windows by accident and there’s no way to undo that so I have to reset the UI. Or mess about with it for minutes until it’s back to the way I wanted it again.

I could see it being useful if there was a special key for dragging/tearing the windows but right now I think the Blender style of splitting the UI works better.

I see your point though of Blender being annoying when you’ve got a window with multiple splits and need to remove the splits in order if you want to get rid of them. This could be improved so you could remove (or split) several areas at once with some new operator or key when dragging the edges.

Some kind of more aggressive edge snapping would help a lot too. Getting two parallel edges lined up just right to merge above or below that line can be pretty tedious, especially on hi-dpi displays.

I think it’s possible to keep the actual system and add a docking system, don’t see why it’s not possible.
We could have both systems.

Yeah, agree on that. Being able to drag and drop panels from anywhere to the 3dview toolbars would be cool. However I am also a big supporter of the non overlapping UI. I am always super bummed out when I return to Maya and start spending my time moving windows around (although they did improve a lot on this area with 2017 and 2018).

I have to say I love that in blender everything is evenly docked and part of the UI - no floating windows. Also, I love how customizable and scalable everything is. I think the only issue here, which causes it to feel alien, is the merging limitation. You need to do a bit of rubik’s cube thing if you want to re-arrange the UI. This could be solved extremely easily, just by changing how the splitting/merging is handled. A nice example of that is Unreal Engine or Blackmagic Fusion. It can be done in a way that allows exact same UI layouts as we can have now, changing only the way they are interacted with when they are being rearranged. :slight_smile: