Sorry to arrive this late, but I just learnt about this modification when reading the 2.60RC changelog. I have been afraid by the “Texture face properties moved to Material” annoucement, so I have checked the whole wiki.blender.org paper (as well as the bf-committers thread) to estimate if my concerns were justified. And unfortunately, they are…
[Warning: Long post…]
To expose my situation:
I’m working on an import/export Python add-on for a several external formats used in a game. Blender is just used here as a perfect all-purpose 3D editor, the goal is neither to render an image, nor to use the Blender Game Engine. The managed formats (which are beyond my control) are using several per-face settings (boolean properties and materials).
Here comes the trouble. As you know, Blender unfortunately doesn’t support per-face custom properties, and it doesn’t support either Face Groups, or anything like that… The only way to support some per-face settings was to re-use the Texture Face options. I only had to wrote my own panel to give these options another name (more suitable for the end user), and voila. Internally, the settings were saved as TexFace options, but it perfectly fitted the add-on needs when importing / creating from scratch / exporting.
I also have to mention that, as far as this addon is concerned, having ‘use_image’, ‘use_twoside’ and ‘hide’ available as per-face options was just as convenient as can be, since they behave in Blender exactly as they behave in the target game. Not to mention that the result was directly observable in the 3D view using the Blender internal rendering engine only.
The proposed solution of using materials is unfortunately not a decent option here: first, materials are already used by the addon as… materials (ie. steel , wood, etc.). Second, these settings just have to be per-face settings, not per-material settings. Creating a material for each possible combination is definitely out of the question (even though there is no limit in the number of material slots in Blender). For info, I have 28 available materials, and there is 10 per-face boolean options: it makes 28672 possibilities…
To be honest, as far as I’m concerned I don’t really understand the benefit of this modification (getting rid of the Texture Face panel, removing 2 Obsolete options ??), but it’s probably not that surprising as I’m not a BGE user. I also want to make clear that I am not directly questioning the point of your update, seing the others feedback it seems to be a positive modification, so I’m sure it is.
I’m perfectly aware that my complaint may not sound relevant, and that you may say I was using BGE options for a wrong purpose. But I have to point out that having eg. a per-face double-sided option was very convenient if we see Blender as an all-purpose 3D modeling software. Besides being used for the BGE, this option is also likely to be needed to easily add support for any external formats. And still from an all-purpose perspective, a per-material double-sided option doesn’t really make any sense IMO (actually, the tooltip of the ‘Backface Culling’ and the ‘Invisible’ options in the new ‘Game Settings’ panel are mentionning “the face”, not “the material”…).
To conclude about this:
- It would have been really nice that this modification only occurs once Blender also support per face custom properties. I understand that it’s not really your concern, but at least TexFace was supplying several per face option slots that could be easily reused.
- IMO, at least the ‘use_twoside/backface_culling’ option should remain available as a per-face setting (and not a per material setting) and rendered in Blender internal rendering engine.
And last, I respect your work and don’t want to sound harsh compared to the involved effort of yours, but at least in my case the loss of the per face settings sounds like a big regression, and I see no suitable workaround (except storing boolean props into the UV texture coordinates, talk about a solution…). I’m just afraid this modification is currently turning Blender 2.60 and subsequent into a dead end for the addon I’m working on (and any format that specifies per face culling).