Feedback on new ads

(rawalanche) #1

I know that management of this site has ties with Sketchfab, so it’s reasonable to expect cross-advertising, however could we go a bit easier on the ads? This is how BA now looks on 1920x1200 screen with completely maximized browser window:

Imagine a newcomer to this forum with smaller resolution. It’ll appear it’s all ads and no content. For that matter, how about a vertical banner instead, since discourse wastes so much of horizontal space on the sides.

Sketchfab Store Halloween Sale
(Bart Veldhuizen) #2

Thanks for your feedback! We have prepared some new ad options that are open to everyone, Sketchfab just happened to be the first to ‘bite’ :wink:

And I agree that the top banner is probably too high - I’ll review that after this campaign. If you look closely you’ll notice that if the top banner is present, I did remove the regular AdSense ads because that totally overwhelmed the page.

We’ll also announce our Patreon soon - becoming a supporter will remove the Adsense too.

(SynaGl0w) #3

I also would not mind seeing them pinned on the sides where there is a lot of wasted space. They would always be visible, would not add any extra scrolling, and could stand out a little more as a BA hosted promo. Yes you still need a horizontal one for narrow layouts, but I see many sites that adjust their ads to fit these scenarios.

Nice to see self-hosted ads finally! It’s the best way to ensure relevant content. The google ads just show up for me as gray boxes. Not because of an ad blocker on the browser, but because they are blocked at the network level with custom DNS. Not doing so makes most sites unusable due to the garbage internet at my location and the fact other people are using it as well. Also a lot of domains blocked for security reasons.

Whatever you do, never ever allow any auto-play videos! :wink:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #4

Unfortunately, this is against the AdSense terms of use - ads are not allowed to be ‘stuck’ into one position. That would be different for self-hosted ones, of course.

:100: It would be amazing if we could have Blender-only ads.

Fully agreed :slight_smile: I have never allowed those on BlenderNation either.

(SynaGl0w) #5

Yeah. The self hosted ones are the only ones I am referring to for that.

(cgCody) #6

You know, not that I’m complaining here (At the same time, I appreciate the site enough to tell you), but I don’t see any ads.

A couple days ago on mobile, I saw a big orange banner for a holloween special, but that’s it. I didn’t even know a top banner was a regular thing. Other than that, I occasionally see the word ADVERTISEMENT between posts.

I’m running the latest Firefox on Android and Win10. I don’t have any kind of ad block for either. No router or DNS level blocking. The only detractors I can think of is having the browser’s do not track feature enabled, using DuckDuckGo for searching (which doesn’t track), and a plug-in called “I don’t care about cookies” which removes those annoying “We use cookies…” ribbons you have to click away.

I tried logging out. I then see the top banner, but in-thread ads still just show as ADVERTISEMENT.

(SynaGl0w) #7

Is there anything of interest in the console?

These are the messages I get in the console due to DNS blocking:
connection_refused

(cgCody) #8

Hmm, it looks like the ads are completely blocked due to Firefox tracking protection. As I understand it, tracking protection is only supposed to prevent tracking and targeted ads, meaning I should still be served generic and manually placed ads as I do on any other website.

The resource at “https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js” was blocked because tracking protection is enabled.[Learn More] 7
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js”. 7:1
The resource at “https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js” was blocked because tracking protection is enabled.[Learn More] 7
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js”.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #9

Interesting - I suspect that it may indeed be Firefox that’s blocking them. Do you get any ads on BlenderNation?

(cgCody) #10

No ads there either. It looks like it is indeed the tracking protection feature. I see ads when I disable the feature.

According to this, the feature is just supposed to block tracking, not ads, per se. Perhaps AdSense needs to be configured to display generic ads in the absenses of tracking data?

Anyway, I’ve gone ahead and added both your sites to a whitelist, but you may won’t to look into this further, as I believe the feature is on by default in Firefox.

Cheers.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #11

Thanks, I’ll see what I can find about this!

We’ll announce our Patreon later today at the bcon, it will disable ads for all supporters and you won’t have to feel bad about not seeing the ads anymore :slight_smile:

(Lump) #12

That ad is distracting, those are Fords and I like Chevrolet. On a serious note they are indeed a bit to big to my taste and maybe the colors should fit more to the theme. With a dark scheme, the white ad almost burns my eyes out.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #13

Great point, we will add that to our ad requirements.

(Michael Jones) #14

…Something is wrong…
I can still see the featured arts.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #15

Hmm, weird. Is that Chrome you’re using? Which version/OS?

(Michael Jones) #16

Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

edit: …the header seems to be better now.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #17

§[quote=“Kobold, post:16, topic:1131455, full:true”]
Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

edit: …the header seems to be better now.
[/quote]

The header was not scheduled for saturday+sunday, but it’s back for today. Do you still have this issue? Does reloading the page fix it?