Feedback on the new theme

I am quiet impressed with the new style. It’s refreshing to see a modern design rather than the cheesy Vbulletin theme. :smiley: Good job who ever worked on it.

My only concern is that there seems to be too much white, with little shades and borders to outline different components/region of the forum. Too much text on pure white background without any border or shades makes site layout look chaotic and harder to navigate. I hope i made myself clear, all the components that makes up this site looks like they are all floating in mid-air.

Holy ****! I thought I loaded to the wrong page! :smiley:
Some things to get used to, but I really like the change overall.
align=center might be nice…
great job, love the new look and the quick access to the gallery…

This is XHTML with CSS-P so it won’t work with “align=center” alone, IMO.
You shoud wrap all the contents with a fixed width wrapper DIV with this CSS property:
margin:0 auto;

if one looks at the posts on blendernation, it seems i am not the only who who find the new color scheme a bit too minimalistic.

As with any design job, for any medium, the first questions that should have been asked are “What do we have to include in the design?”, “How will we arrange it so it all fits in an easy-to-understand way?” and then, as designs are put forward the one big question should be “Why?”.

For example “Why should links not look like links?”, “Why should individual posts not look individual?” and so on. If there aren’t obvious and logical answers to these questions beyond “It looks nice” or “I like it that way” then it’s likely the decision should be revisited.

I don’t mind the overall scheme. It is fresh and generally uncluttered although the lack of partitioning of information actually makes it look more cluttered than it needs to - though I suspect the intent was quite the opposite.

On the other hand, the decisions to reduce rather than improve functionality (post counts, links, navigation) are a much bigger concern to me. Most or all of these issues have been raised in the announcement thread so there’s no point rehashing them all here since this thread will likely get locked as a duplicate anyway.

Hm, actually the links thing am I not sure about. I think my original proposal included an 1pixel orange bottom border for links, not sure what happened with that. I agree that some contrast could be added to the gray and - for the forum - the option to have the posts centered.

Also, what people probably don’t know is that the actual design/layout were made for a magazine-style website and only later adapted for the forum theme, which of course requires a completely different approach, given the difference in content.

But these are all things that can and most likely will be changed and, just as a friendly reminder, are more likely to change if presented in a civil manner instead of attacking the people who are actually spending their free time on it.

Also, what people probably don’t know is that the actual design/layout were made for a magazine-style website and only later adapted for the forum theme, which of course requires a completely different approach, given the difference in content.

I had an inkling the idea was based on non-forum layout though I’d assumed it was blog-inspired. But people who post on forums don’t post like people who post on blogs.

In a blog or “magazine”, the post-style (paragraph breaks, line lengths, capitalisation and so on) are consistent from top to bottom because they are usually posted or edited by one person - or a handful of people who comply with the style guide. In a forum, every user has a different writing style, a different avatar, a different sig and so on. The lack of separation causes it to end up just looking messy.

There’s definitely a strong possibility of the basic theme working but it shouldn’t be at the expense of functionality and readability. Design should rarely be the priority. For most purposes, design should serve usability.

But these are all things that can and most likely will be changed and, just as a friendly reminder, are more likely to change if presented in a civil manner instead of attacking the people who are actually spending their free time on it.

Agreed my good fellow :wink: But the design of the forum is only one part of the whole. Many of the members of the forum also spend a great deal of their free time here helping Blender users. Hopefully their opinions count for something. I guess we should wait and see Timothy’s response to the 10 pages of comments in the news forum.

“Why should links not look like links?”

Good grief, I hadn’t even noticed this. No comment.

This much white is tiresome for the eyes.
And I most definately agree that posts are not made individual enough. Limiting the page to a certain space on the leftseems like a very weird idea too.

Good grief, I hadn’t even noticed this. No comment.

I noticed it because I couldn’t work out what was wrong with my sig. At first I assumed that links were either broken or not allowed in sigs any more.

One problem I see quite often in the design world is the tendency to follow the fine art trend. Instead of asking “why” something should be done differently, they say “why not?” then do it just because it’s different. The belief that “tried and true” is wrong can lead to questionable results and before you know it you’ve got a urinal as a sculpture in an art gallery. Modern design can sometimes be the antithesis of practicality.

Obviously I have no idea what was behind Timothy’s thinking so we can only wait and see what happens when he returns.

Well, the new look is much better than the old one … more apropos to a site that centers around artistry. Personally, I find that the new skins are just a little bit too stark white on my browser, and occupy a bit too much space around things, but it’s a big improvement over the last one … which fairly screamed geek-dom. :slight_smile:

Let’s face it: Blender is “main stream” now, and a lot of graphics design pros are going to be looking at this site. This is a definite step forward.

Interestingly, there’s a Forum Jump on the PM page but not on the forum pages :rolleyes:

I agree with centering the Forum again. It would be easier to read, at least IMO.

Else I find it good. The link-thing should be corrected, but that’s all.

We already have a official thread about the new layout, find it in News & Discussion, a sticky thread.