Ferrari FF

Hi, I’d like to share with you my latest personal work. It’s my first approach at automotive visualisation. also first try at Blender + Cycles rendering engine. All modelling except grass was done by me in Blender. Any criticism is welcome :slight_smile:

Attachments

color red just a hair too saturated. Top render is the closest to fully realistic, but again the ground is too bright and saturated. Love the tailpipe shot and your asphalt looks pretty good, but something is a touch off in the car paint material. On the top down shot, I can’t figure why all of the reflections are streaked…

Not trying to discourage… looks like a good effort.

Thank you for the reply @NRK, could you be more precise about the car paint? And about the streaked reflections; that’s how the cycles’ motion blur worked in this case. And I’ve got one more image - this clay render:

First of all: really awesome for a first try, congratulations. Of course there´s something to improve, but it´s a good start though. I think the carpaint is to much chrome looking. You have a lot of really sharp reflections in your carpaint, which wont be there in reality. Real carpaint isnt that reflective and mainly not that perfect. I think some slight bump mapping will give it a more realistic look. I would also try to combine 2 paint layers: a color paint and a clear coat.

On the second picture you seem to have some troubles regarding the tiling of your tarmac. You are using some textures for that, right? You could avoid this kind of “cut” by making the tarmac procedural or by using seamless textures. For performance reasons I would make procedural tarmac. Building this is pretty easy to learn. Basically it´s just some voronoi / musgrave textures mixed together. There are good tutorials out there for that. Just search for “Cycles procedural tarmac” and you´ll get immediate help.

Last picture: same issue as it was in Picture 1. The “chrome paint”. Everything looks pretty realistic in this scene. Except the car. This is because of the paint. With this chrome coating your pretty Ferrari looks like a foreign object there. By the way: love that tarmac in your this pic!

Anyway, as I said earlier: it is a pretty good start. Keep it up!

There are some good car paint examples on blend swap; as a start, mix two glossy nodes and use a Layer Weight (Facing) as the factor (blend of around 0.2 works well). For one of the glossy nodes, set a roughness of about 0.2 and use a red color–this will be the base metallic paint. The other glossy should be white and maybe 0.005 roughness to simulate the clear coat. This will give you a start to play with. For the base paint, you could also mix a glossy and diffuse shader, or just play with the roughness. Good luck!

Attachments

@Jero3D Thanks for nice words and for all the advice. About the tarmac-I have seen that cut in texture but I kind of let it be because sometimes the tarmac is laid on the road in “slices”. But if you see it as a mistake then probably I should have taken more care about it. I will dig a bit more into making it procedural.

@pleskinen Thank you for the advice, here is my car paint material setting:

Apart from that (displacement maps for water drops and mapping for water stains) this is the main paint shader:

I’m afraid that the visible part of car is fully “wet” so this shader differs from the front of the car. It was meant to be visualised after the ride so technically speaking the back would be wetter than the front. I guess the effect isn’t that clear :frowning:

You are right. But if you leave it this way, I would add some kind of a bitumen sealing (like in real world) to close the gap between this 2 surfaces. This will make it look more realistic. In real world these gaps are sealed, cause otherwise it would break up the tarmac surfaces in winter (if water freezes it destroys the surface).

The main problem of your shader is that you are using glossy nodes with 0 roughness. Setting the glossy node this way, the result is a perfect mirror, not an reflective material. Play around with values between 0.002 to 0.005. Look at the example pleskinen posted above. That´s a good start for some basic carpaint. In my picture you see a basic carpaint with metallic flakes. I use this one as a start for every carpaint I need. The idea is not new (I think originally this was posted on blendswap a few years ago) but still worth a try.

Regarding your waterdrops: to control the amount on different parts of the body, you dont need a separate shader. In blender you can assign multiple UV Mappings for a surface. You can adress a mapping by using an attribute node (you can find it under "Add / Input / Attribute). In the textfield of the attribute node, you simply add the name of your UV Map and connect the vector output to your texture. This method is also good for dirtmapping.

the carpaint ist fantastic :slight_smile: like the render from behind!