Few modelling questions

Hi Blenders :slight_smile:
I just started testing blender for its capabilites and trying to compare it with other 3d packages. And it is pretty good in view it is free in first look, but when you look closer there are few "lack of"s. Anyway it is still good piece of software.

I have troubles to find some functions and would like to share with you. Maybe you can just help me out to find out where the feature is. :slight_smile: This is just start and I will continue with more if I found any. You will be very kind if you help me to figure out something.

1. Set pivot point in edit mode
    imagine you are in edit mode you select row of vertexes and you would like to rotate the row around the first vertex,
    how to? :slight_smile:

2. Extruding faces
    simple box and you select faces on the top and on one side then you hit extrude and I would like to see that extrusion si not going in direction of average normal of these two faces but in faces normal but still connected with
    middle edge

3. Removing ediges
    face subdevided with one edge in the middle and when you remove the middle edge it will remove edge and vertexes but face will keep

I will see what Im going to find more :slight_smile: Happy blendering

1. Set pivot point in edit mode
    imagine you are in edit mode you select row of vertexes and you would like to rotate the row around the first vertex,
    how to?
    Either set the 3d curser to the vertex you want to rotate around and set the pivot point to the 3d curser or select that vertex last and set the pivot point to Active Element
  1. Extruding faces
    simple box and you select faces on the top and on one side then you hit extrude and I would like to see that extrusion si not going in direction of average normal of these two faces but in faces normal but still connected with
    middle edge

Alt+E / Individual Faces

1. Removing ediges
    face subdevided with one edge in the middle and when you remove the middle edge it will remove edge and vertexes but face will keep

Are you saying it keeps the face when you don’t want it to or you want to keep the face but currently doesn’t, your question phraseology is poor.
X / Dissolve removes the edge but keeps the face, option to also remove vertices in the operator panel or F6
X / Edge removes the edge along with the face

http://olson.hopto.org/pivotpoint.jpeg

Object origin is not the pivot point. It can be used as such but it’s not the pivot point on its own.
Pivot menu is on the header and you can also access them with shortcuts:

• Ctrl+, = median point
  • . = 3D cursor
  • alt+. = active element
  • ctrl+. = individual origins
  • , = bounding box
  • alt+, = manipulate centers only

You can set 3D cursor where you want through snap menu (shift+s).

Alt+E / Individual Faces

Maybe I wrongly expressed myself. Face extrusion as individual is ok, if you need it. If I want to extrude faces “together” i will use CTRL+E, the Region one, right?. But there is a little issue for me. Try this: Create cube and select all faces except the bottom one and hit CTRL+E. The extrusion doesnt go “out of cube” but only in “one direction”. I would expect that the region will go out “to all sides”.
I dont want it as individual face but region. For me it is common workflow to use extrude this way. But I have to admit that “blender way” of extrusion has some benefits as well :slight_smile:
I am curious if there is any solution in blender for it. Nothing offensive just curiosity. Thanks :slight_smile:

Are you saying it keeps the face when you don’t want it to or you want to keep the face but currently doesn’t, your question phraseology is poor.
X / Dissolve removes the edge but keeps the face, option to also remove vertices in the operator panel or F6
X / Edge removes the edge along with the face

Excuse me for my english. I want to remove edges with vertices but keep face and Dissolve is the solution, thank you very much it was very helpful :slight_smile:

Object origin is not the pivot point. It can be used as such but it’s not the pivot point on its own.
Pivot menu is on the header and you can also access them with shortcuts:

• Ctrl+, = median point
  • . = 3D cursor
  • alt+. = active element
  • ctrl+. = individual origins
  • , = bounding box
  • alt+, = manipulate centers only

You can set 3D cursor where you want through snap menu (shift+s).

JA12: Thank you, next time I will look better

You can do it 2 ways: inset faces (I) then press ctrl to pop it out. The other way is to cancel a regular extrude straight away and then press alt+s to scale along the normals (and you can press alt to make it keep the same surface shape).