few questions re: 225 copyright.txt

Hi Guys:
Reading it and have few questions.
So there are:

• The Individual License
  • The Company License
  • The Unlimited License
    Are they still selling it?

Is Blender really free? 1000 copies is the limit for a person who wants to distributed media product which contains a viewer, right? What is a viewer?
This may sound silly. Please explain.
How about avi mpg stuff created by blender? Is there a license thing for that kind of stuff?
Thanks.

pc.

Hello

I’ll be a bit out of topic, sorry, but…forget 2.25 and download the latest version ( the game engine is allready working quite nice and the player is comming for the new 2.34)

Keep Blending
Bye

No, at least it doesn’t seem so. But there is the Foundation License (get the key file from the Blender site.).

Is Blender really free?

Blender >2.25 is GPLed and it is free under the conditions of the GPL.

1000 copies is the limit for a person who wants to distributed media product which contains a viewer, right? What is a viewer?

Right. If you sell more copies then you should contact Ton and probably make a donation to the Blender Foundation. Viewer are the browser plugin, the standalone player and the executables you can export with Blender (which is just the player combined with the .blend).

How about avi mpg stuff created by blender? Is there a license thing for that kind of stuff?

If you want to put any kind of license on your own work then you are free to do so! It’s your work! :wink:

If you want to put any kind of license on your own work then you are free to do so! It’s your work! ;)[/quote]

First, thanks for the informations.
Secondly I would like to ask this question again, for I would like to know if someone here use blender to creat animation stuff and sell the animation stuff for more than 1000 copies, does he or she start to contact
Ton and make donations?

pc.

I do believe the 1000 copy restriction was for realtime media(like games) and for version 2.25 only.
You can create an animations and not worry about how many copies you sold, just be nice and donate some money anyway.
Like OTO said, download the latest version. (2.33)

Thanks so much.
It’s taking forever to understand GPL license text file. There are many lines. Is this file written for professinal lawyer?
Does it say people are freely to sell your game created with blender?
And you have to attach the GPL license text file with your game?

Thanks a bunch.

pc

There are some people (like me) who still use 2.25. I like the interface better and there aren’t any bugs in the game engine, so why switch?

Pooba

You’re right, I dunno. :-?

I must admit I’ve not yet been tempted to leave 2.25 behind. Hopefully with 2.34 arriving soon the next couple of weeks could see the break!