Fighting with a Fembot - WIP

Here’s a model I’m working on.

http://bentfx.com/BlenderArtistsForum/FB_Cycles_01.jpg

http://bentfx.com/BlenderArtistsForum/FB_Cycles_02.jpg

Rendered in Cycles, 650 passes. Just simple diffuse and glossy materials.
Time: ~10:00 each.

It was modelled in Silo, and the original modelling WIP can be seen here. There is still quite a bit of modeling left to do and it will probably be done in Silo. Though I know ultimately it will be rigged and animated in Blender, so I’m trying to get a handle on that. I’m very new to Blender but hope to hash out the basics of rigging and animation using this as my test case. I’m going to have a lot of questions. I hope you all have a lot of answers ready.

Thanks.

OK, here’s the first question… :smiley:

As a quick and dirty lighting setup I’ve created an emission object for my sun, and put an image in the world as an environment texture.

http://bentfx.com/BlenderArtistsForum/FB_Cycles_Env.jpg

For the moment I’m happy with that lighting, but don’t want the image on the background. The world’s surface is set to background and the color is set to environment texture, which seems to be the only way I can figure to get cycles to use the image for lighting calculations. How can I maintain the lighting and shut the background image off?

Thanks.

OK, I got that figured out well enough to make myself happy. Under render, set film to transparent. That removes the background in the 3D viewport, and sets it up as alpha for the renderer. In the viewport it displays as gray checks but that is far less distracting than the environment map image.

Thanks for figuring that out I was having a simalar issues with cycles and just wanted the background to be an alpha. Film to transparent works perfectly:)

Happy Blending!

http://www.rkmusic.info/avatar3.jpghere’s the first question

http://www.rkmusic.info/avatar3.jpgOK, I got that figured out well enough to make myself happy. Under render, set film to transparent. That removes the background in the 3D viewport, and sets it up as alpha for the renderer. In the viewport it displays as gray checks but that is far less distracting than the environment map image

While I’m not fully happy with it (I’ll do some stuff differently next time) the lower body is done for now. IIRC there are a couple spots where an edit messed up my UV seams and that will be fixed, but I need to move on and get to work on the upper body.

http://bentfx.com/BlenderArtistsForum/FembotLegs002.png

Here’s the .blend file if anyone wants to critique the rig. I know the model has issues. :slight_smile:

Here’s a wire of the head. Her nose is kind of short, but I like it. There’s a couple tris on the head that I think will be OK. The neck currently has a bunch of tris that will go away.

http://bentfx.com/BlenderArtistsForum/head01_sm.png

I plan on reworking the eyebrows to give them a mechanical look.

C&C are welcome.