FIH - The Field Hockey Game

** WE WOULD LIKE TO PLAN A BUDGET WORKING ON A SEMI-PROFESSIONAL BASIS **
ANYONE INTERESTED WOULD NEED TO BE AVAILABLE FROM THE END OF APRIL 2013 - BUT WHO WOULD CHIP IN NOW TO AID WITH A REPRESENTATIONAL PIECE TO GO ON KICKSTARTER BY MARCH 15th

Hello Everyone,

Here is a brief introduction into the status of my project:

Project Name: The Field Hockey Game
Duration: 2 years*
Resources:
Facebook Page [1,070 likes]
YouTube [Over 2,500 views on 15 videos, 34 subscribers]
Website
Studio Site

Current Team Size: 3
My background: BSc in IT, web developer for a web/marketing agency in the UK, field hockey player for 20 years
Programming Experience: 10 years PHP (other languages I have used in the past .NET C#, ASP)

What am I looking for?
Like minded individuals who have experience in modelling/rigging realistic human movements as this is key for a sport action game. What I don’t know I am willing to learn but equally if someone is willing to speed that process up by doing and then explaining that is all the better. I would ideally be looking for students/professionals working in their spare time i.e. not looking for immediate monetary rewards.

Also if there are any concept artists out there, we could use their talents for concept art for the player models etc

What can I give in return?
Nothing is guaranteed but we have a goal of producing proof of concept game play by March 2013 in order to gain investment for the 2013 tax year (UK, April 2013). Once investment has been gained the team would look to go full time[SUP]2[/SUP] in order to release an alpha version by August 2013, and a full release in March 2014. Pay would be split in relation to the amount of work done. We would be looking to form a studio[SUP]3[/SUP] in April-June of 2013 with a move to producing future titles.[SUP]4[/SUP]

• (first attempt was on HL2 Source Engine [duration too long], new attempt is on Unity3D [duration 2-3 months])
    [SUP]2 [/SUP]dependent upon the amount of investment and the size of the team
    [SUP]3[/SUP] Urbanwarfare Studios
    [SUP]4[/SUP] Urbanwarfare

Game Demand
A little background on the current climate for this type of game. A recently created group on Facebook are trying to get EA to make one, and currently have 11,500 likes. They claim to be producing it if EA do not pick it up but to this point I am skeptical. Obviously a like does not equal a sale for the game but there is certainly an apparent demand for the game, which can only grow with an effective online marketing strategy.

Field Hockey is the 2nd most played team sport in the UK behind football/soccer. In the Netherlands its a professional sport and generally you either play football or hockey. Its also huge in Australia, India, Pakistan and popular in Spain, Germany etc

What do I have so far?

A stick model
A ball model (basic)
A pitch/stadium setup in Unity 3D
A goal model
Goal keeping kit is in progress

• Helmet Done
  • Kickers Done
    I think we’ve opted to buy a player model to speed up the process.
    A growing working knowledge of Blender
    Professional Video editing/recording software
    A dedicated website and multiple social networking platforms on which to spread the progress and generate interest in the game.

Intended Game Play
Play will focus around the ball (as in Fifa) and the player will be able to control anyone of the 11 members of the team, against a team of AI. (If enough funds are raised via investment we would like to introduce the ability to have multiple players on 1 or both sides).

Realistically we will need to have a single player campaign mode through which the player can select a team to represent and enable them to progress through the competition to the final to win the prize. Given the timing this could be based on the mens 2014 world cup competition held in June of 2014. Choosing this option has some positive ramifications i.e. it won’t limit our market to just Europe and should give a good international spread of sides that can be presented, whilst limiting us to 12 sides to create models/textures for.

If anyone is interested or has any questions please post them on here.

Kind Regards,
Simon Buckley

Hi Everyone,

I just wondered if anyone could give me some feedback on this project - good or bad?

Updated with a video/details.