file browser limitations..

I have run into a problem that is not a bug, but a limitation with how the file browser is designed. It is not a bug so I can’t report it as such, and it is not quite a feature request, well, maybe some.

-Anyway, while the file browser is open to save a file, I can’t see the full name of long filenames unless I click on each one, and I can’t slide the column divider over like most other programs in the whole world.
-When I DO click on a file, the extension stays the same regardless of the type of file I click on (only if the browser is open to save). There doesn’t seem to be any kind of wildcard or text filter anywhere, and the default file type in the lower left is blank if it hasn’t been changed.
I often save files using some variation of other filenames, especially when they are long (ie ‘gamename_date_time_render#’ type of names) and not being able to examine the folders full file-names, including the correct extension is very annoying. I end up dropping to a Windows folder browser.

I love Blender and the hard-working contributors who have put so much power and versatility into it. I have watched it evolve since maybe 1996 (almost from the initial release to open-source) from an interesting but obscure little modeling program to the powerhouse it is today.
But the not-made-here syndrome when it comes to universally established conventions can be really frustrating sometimes.
I have learned to right-click-for-selecting so well that I find my fingers stumbling when I am in other software (‘x’ does not delete outside of Blender, I keep telling my fingers, same with ‘g’, ‘s’, ‘r’, and so on). Having to switch muscle-memory between software is really bad form IMHO.

Does anybody know anybody who can switch between Dvorak and conventional keyboards with ease? I suppose it might be like a language; with enough exposure your brain starts to think in-context rather than constantly converting, but I don’t know how true that is for muscle memory.
(I’m getting old and my typing dexterity was always rather poor anyway, and fast switching in focus and context are harder as you get older, sigh.)

Feedback?
thanks