File--Import python console errors?

anyone having problems when trying to import other file types using the new built-in importer script?

When using File–>Import in version 2.34 for Windows, it goes through all the processes: faces, vertices, etc. When it appears it’s finished and is about to display the model, I get a popup that says “Python errors, check console”.

I’m not a Python guru, so I’m not sure what to do. I’m runing Python 2.3, I believe, but other scripts seem to work fine, so I dunno.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

p.s. I saw someone else’s post say they can import .3ds files from that File–>Import menu. I don’t see that on my v2.34. Any ideas?

You don’t say which of the import scripts you used.

Also, when it says “Error… see console”, there will be an error message in the DOS window (console that if you’re not on windoze you may have to open yourself). If we can read that message we could maybe help you.

%<

I just answered this question for another user … hopefully in a way that will help him, and you … if you want to read what I wrote, check out this thread (It’s my second post of this thread):

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31940&highlight=

I didn’t use a separate import script. I just used the File–>Import menu in 2.34.

Here’s the console error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<string>”, line 172, in fs_callback
File “<string>”, line 55, in read
File “D:\Blender Foundation\Blender2.34.blender\scripts\mod_meshtools.py”, li
ne 85, in create_mesh
objname = versioned_name(objname)
File “D:\Blender Foundation\Blender2.34.blender\scripts\mod_meshtools.py”, li
ne 97, in versioned_name
existing_names.append(object.data.name)
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘name’

Thanks!

Well something is wrong, what format are you trying to import?

You can comment out line 97 (put a # in front) and the worst that will happen is that you might over-write one of your existing meshes.

I was trying LightWave format.

Also, general question: are any of these import scripts able to import the material settings as well? or just the model/mesh? I’m thinking just the mesh, because material/texture code must differ alot between programs.

But I wanted to double-check. Thanks.

My LW module exports all basic material info like rgb, ambient, specularity, emit, vertex-colors, etc., but ignores it upon import. The OBJ format does import some material properties, though.