File save dialogs and prompts

No, it would be dead-easy to add an “are you sure?” popup there. I am mostly trying to stick within our paradigm of limited popups.

I am personally annoyed by confirmation dialogs most of the time, except for the few times they matter. LOL.

What I mean is that fundamentally it comes down to asking the user if they want to continue with an action that they have already explicitly indicated. And most of the time the answer is “well, yes stupid, that is why I selected that, stop bothering me”

To further explore this, consider a time when we would NOT consider such a dialog. You work on a new scene, then save it. Do some more work, then click File / Save. It does so immediately, as expected. But there is the exact same danger here as elsewhere that is equally in need of confirmation. My intention could just as well had been to save with a new filename and clicking “save” was not what I wanted to do. So the system could have asked me to confirm overwriting an existing file, but did not. We don’t want it to.

“Save As” isn’t that different from “Save”, yet we are asking for a confirmation of action. So when I select “Save as”, then explicitly click on an existing filename, I would be irritated to be asked “are you sure?” since I just clicked on the damn name. I would only not be irritated if I got the confirmation when typing the name, versus selecting it. And that is inconsistent, I know. But sometimes I want a warning and other times I want the computer to just bloody do what I tell it to.

So the above was an attempt to give a warning that does not require added action and therefore does not slow you down. The changing of the button color would be hard to miss. But repeated “boy who cried wolf” confirmations are easy to ignore until too late.

4 Likes