Filling an area, tri or quads?

Ok, so following the general rule of trying to achieve quads wherever possible, I’m facing the following problem:

I’m about to fill an area. The area should be entirely flat. Everything is smoothed and has subsurf turned on. The outer and inner edge (the ones I’m going to connect) doesn’t have the same amount of vertices. The area that’s going to be filled is part of a cube (with knifed edges instead of being subdivided, since I wanted to cut down on the amount of vertices used). Now, just to test things, I tried to just fill it using Shift-F, which appeared to give artifacts even after recalculating the normals. Pressing Alt+J helped with this though, but I can still make out some shades which I assume comes from using this method.

My question is the following: Should I attempt to face loop cut the whole cube until the vertices matches (in order to obtain quads)? Should I leave it as is (there doesn’t seem to be any notable artifacts when rendering)? Or is there another method I should use?

Oh, and is that Alt+J part a good idea, or should I try to work around it?

If there are no triangles touching creases and the area is flat then the traingles don’t matter.

GreyBeard

Alright, thanks. I’ll keep that in mind.

I hope I won’t have to ask these stupid newbie questions soon. I can imagine that it must be rather annoying to answer them all the time. Thanks for your help though. :slight_smile: