Filling Geometry Between Curves?

Hello! I have an object that’s been beveled a number of times (using the Bevel modifier) to give it smooth edges. This results in some uneven geometry at the corners, which I’d like to replace with something more uniform.

Here’s what I have immediately after applying the Bevel modifiers:

Here’s the same geometry, but with the “ugly” corners removed:
http://www.mcc3d.com/files/Patch_002.jpg

I manually filled in this section by manual extrude/scale to show what I’m ultimately aiming to achieve:

Is there a way to do this other than the brute force method?

I tried using the Spin tool, but this does not work well for off-axis scenarios, or for scenarios where the corner is interior rather than exterior as in this example.

I’ve looked at trying to use bSurfaces, but I’m afraid that even after watching several “how to” videos, I don’t understand the particulars of the bSurfaces workflow well enough to accomplish my objective with it.

Is there some obvious tool or method I’m missing?

I don’t know how to achieve the result you are looking for, but I have to ask if it would have been that way if you had figured on using the bevel at once only - your model looks like you beveled it, committed, then beveled again… is that what happened? I ask because I tried to simulate your start scenario and i just upped the bevel to 8 and had a smoother start, then realized I was seeing some iterations in your image.

That’s the approach used to get here, yes. The Bevel modifier does not have an iteration setting and the Bevel tool does not always provide the uniform results the modifier does, so I tend to avoid using it. Additionally, the resulting geometry the Bevel tool creates at this corner does not match the geometry I’d like to have as an end result, so I’d still end up wanting to replace it.

However, how I got here isn’t really relevant: I have a hole in my geometry that I’d like to fill and am seeking an expedient method for doing so. By way of example, Maya has the “Birail” tool, and 3dsMax and Lightwave both have patch-based modeling methods. Surely, Blender has some equivalent means of achieving the same goal.

Did you try the spin tool from top ortho view, and place the cursor at that corner vert you are pivoting around? here: I snapped the cursor to the vert, selected the verts on one side, then went to top view and ortho(5) and used the spin tool. I had to set -90 degrees, then used 6 steps to get the geo to match. I moved to this view so you can see what it resulted in. I hope this helps, maybe if there is an easier way someone else can jump in and correct me.

I also would need to remove doubles, and to use the loop tools to loft the rest that is missing I guess.

Attachments

I did; was the first thing I tried. The object isn’t axis-aligned, though, nor is it along a perfect 90 degree angle, so the Spin tool doesn’t line up right. It almost works, but not quite, even after fiddling with the various axis parameters. :frowning:

Maybe see if there is anything in the looptools addon that can help. I use the Circle and Loft a lot, and it seems Circle works the same no matter what orientation my view is in.

Okay, select all but the corner vert, and use the Loft command, then choose enough segments to match the corresponding edge loops. You will still have to fill in the corner triangles, and you might need to select the middle edge loop with proportional edit and Local coordinates on, but you can get very close even being off from ortho.

Attachments

You’re welcome - helping others is how I learn :smiley:

Select the top face of your cube, then shift+7 (Align view to selected (Top)) and the rest like Craig said in post #4.