Filling holes in organic shapes

I’ve been using the NextEngine 3D scanner to scan some organic materials - like bones. The resulting model usually has a bunch of holes of different sizes, which I can usually fix in the NextEngine software. But sometimes it does a pretty bad job of filling holes automatically and I wanted to try to do it manually in Blender. I have two problems: selecting the edges around the hole (there is no automatic function to do that, but maybe a python script?). The second problem is filling the holes - I tried using the “shift F” method, but the result is very flat. Right now I am using the sculpting tool to push and pull the filled surface to make it more curvy and look more like the surrounding bone. Overall, the result is not very appealing, and it takes way more time that it probably should. If anyone has ideas for my to play with, I’d love to hear them! thanks

Haven’t heard of the software, might help if you could show a solid wire of the scanned in mesh.
It sounds like it comes in really messy.
You can use Edge Loop Select to select the edges that make up a hole, and to fill them you could use F, but only with 4 Verts at a time. Otherwise you’ll have the option of an F-Gon, which will add to the messyness.

Hi,

If the only non-manifold edges in the object are around the holes, you could select the edges of the holes using Select>Non-Manifold (Shift-Ctrl-Alt-M), then extrude the edges (E). The new vertices will be selected and movable, but cancel the move with the right mouse button. Collapse the new vertices in on themselves (Alt-M, 3).

This might give ugly results, but it is quick.

Non-Manifold selection is great! Thanks for that tip, it selects all the hole edges perfectly!! You are right about collapsing the vertices in on themselves though - ugly. Still need to come up with a better way to fill those holes with more uniform mesh…