Filters in game engine

Hey guys, I just want to know how to make a cartoon filter in the game engine. I know you can do that because I just saw someone do it. If anyone has played “The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker” that’s what I’m taking about. I still don’t understand a lot of stuff in the game engine, but sooner or later I will hopefully find out how to use everything. Hopefully it wasn’t a dumb question to ask, but I’ve tried for a very long time and it hasn’t worked, so if someone could tell me how to setup the logic bricks that’ll be great, thanks.

To my knowledge, you can’t do it with the built-in logic bricks; you’ll have to find a script that does what you’re looking for, and then hook it up to an always brick.

You can play around with the nodes, I’m not too good at them so I can’t help much. A trick for giving things “edges” is to copy the object, scale it up a little, make it all shadeless black and flip the normals.

you could try the 2d filter actuator…
to get the exact effect you want you may need a custom filter though.

The problem with that is that, I don’t have GLSL… So, that’s why I can’t do it.

The problem with this way is that, you double the polys on everything and it’s pretty hard to shrink a human and make it fit inside a larger version.

The thing is that I don’t have GLSL. So i’m just wondering here if there is a script that can make a cartoon effect without GLSL? Maybe, but thanks I’ll find out.

If you don’t have GLSL then you can fake it. Make an square image where the top half is light gray and the bottom half is darker gray.

Unwrap your object and select the texture. in the image window go Image -> Realtime texture mapping -> Reflection

Add a shadeless material to the object and set it’s colour to the colour you want your object to be

I’ve attached a basic blend that shows the effect. you have to press P to see colours and remember this method is fake and doesn’t react to lights in the level. If you use cube mapping you can fake having light sources but that’s trickier to do.

The divide between the shades controls the angle of light hitting the object. The shading is relative to the camera and you can play around with texture, softness and more shades when trying to achieve the desired result

Also for the outline you have to use the double poly trick. Do it after you have rigged and press Alt and S to scale along normals, this means that simple scaling will thin or fatten the line

Attachments

faketoon.blend (186 KB)

I don’t have GLSL, but it works for me.:confused: