Final decision on new hardware...

Ok after much heartache and turmoil and a great deal of help from the community (thanks guys). In september I’m going to buy this… probably running ubuntu 64.

If anyone thinks I’m making a big mistake somewhere, there is still time to stop me…

System Configuration![file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif)

Motherboard
Biostar A770E3 AM3, PCI-E, GBLan, ATX £26.50![file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif)

Processor
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 Processor - Retail £112.50![file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif)[](javascript:ShowPage(‘400’):wink:
[Memory Slot 1](javascript:ShowPage(‘400’):wink:
4Gb (2X2Gb) Dual Channel DDR3 1333Mhz Memory £55.25![file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif)[](javascript:ShowPage(‘401’):wink:
[Memory Slot 2](javascript:ShowPage(‘401’):wink:
4Gb (2X2Gb) Dual Channel DDR3 1333Mhz Memory £55.25![file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif)[](javascript:ShowPage(‘500’):wink:
[Graphics Card(s)](javascript:ShowPage(‘500’):wink:
Sapphire 1024Mb ATi Radeon HD 5670 PCI-Express VGA Card £75.75![file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif)[](javascript:ShowPage(‘800’):wink:
[Hard Drive 1](javascript:ShowPage(‘800’):wink:
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm S-ATAII 32MB Hard Drive £41.97![file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/lauggm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif)[](javascript:ShowPage(‘810’):wink:
[Optical Device 1](javascript:ShowPage(‘810’):wink:
NEC AD-5260S-0B 24x+/-DVD-R SATA DL DVD Writer - Black £14.25[](javascript:ShowPage(‘812’):wink:
[Case](javascript:ShowPage(‘1000’):wink:
N-800D Black ATX Case With 500W PSU £16.95
[Desk Managers](javascript:ShowPage(‘1390’):wink:
Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse - Black/Silver - Radio F £6.95
MOH-HA195A
Hanns.G HA195A 18.5 In Widescreen TFT Monitor

ATI may be a bad idea, and my opinion on HDs is that these days storage is overkill- I have 160 gig in my box from almost 2 years ago and I still have 113 gig to spare- Maybe invest more in the graphics card, get nvidia, and shrink the HD, which always are cheap and by the time you fill it will be cheaper for 10X the storage.

nvidia is the way to go, buy what you can afford
all else looks nice

I agree witht the two previous guys on going with a Nvidia card. I would suggest a 460 which is a bit pricier but should be close enough to your budget. I would have suggested a 275 or a 285 do to them being less but still high in performance but I couldnt find them in the store your using. One thing to be aware of is that there is a bit of an issue which I think will be fixed eventually. First link is about the driver issue and last 2 links are suggestion for the video card.

Driver issue thread
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=191597&page=1
Less memory but its a bit cheaper
http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=GC-XNGTX467
More memory but more expensive
http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=GC-XNGTX461

but ATi cards are cooler, I’ve read some articles about the heat problems with fermi cards. but the 460 seems like a good deal on a nvidia.

you haven’t thought of having a SSD HD ? that gives a huuuuge boost

Only buy the Black Edition if you plan to OC your system. The BE has a free multiplier, else take the normal one its cheaper.

Be careful when using 4 memory modules, some mainboards or for that matter memory controllers in the cpu, and chipsets can´t run the modules with their default timing anymore, you either got to raise the memory voltage or lower the timings.

Don´t buy a cheapass mainboard. A mainboard contributes a big deal to the speed and stability of a system. There´s a reason why a Biostar costs 30 Euro and a Tyan costs 400 Euro. I rather have solid capacitators on my board than some crap that cracks open under load.

SSD is a nice to have for the system parition, but taken into account i start my OS once a day go to get a coffee and its booted once i am back, and i don´t care if blender opens in 2 seconds or in 1.43 seconds when i stay there the next 8 hours, for data storage its a waste of money.
It might be nice to handle large pyphys datasets though for smooth particle/physique playback

Graphics card…

Nvidia´s GF100 series: Hot/loud with reference cooling, CUDA, 3Dvision, superior AF, inferior AA, superior linux support, high end solutions bigger buck - big bang.

ATIs HD57xx/58xx: Hot/loud with reference cooling but enough manufacturer cooling choises, no CUDA (Adobe Suite), Hydravision, inferior AF, superior AA, driver issues, small buck - big bang.

It´s a matter what you need, what you want to do, and if you´r playing games as well. It´s not about selling your soul to a company, its about being an egoistic opportunist getting the best possible performance (speed and stability wise) for your tasks for the least money.

It is also no big secret most of the Quadro performance comes from the driver, with a nvidia card you might be able to nvstrap a different card ID or flash another bios to be able to run it with quadro drivers, if you use other software with quadro acceleration.

Personally I got a GTX470 and rest assured with reference cooling its either hot like hell with bearable noise, or unbearable noise with acceptable but high temperatures. Without aftermarket cooler I´d recommend ear protection or loud music during work.
And seeing the GF100 series having not quite the good performance in blender i´d go with an older series for work only like a 260 or 285.

hth

I have no idea where these driver problems come from? have had 6 different ATI cards and never had issues with blender. have had trouble with linux in the past but the drivers are alot better now.
As for people still developing in cude… i don’t get it… opencl > cuda
opencl is much more than just GPU computation.

It’s more of a feel. AMD drivers feel like perpetual beta, they just fix something on one end and something else is not working afterwards and they got their history with that. they got strange optimizations for AF in their drivers and don´t do as much optimization as nvidia does. It somehow feels like ATI is developing and nvidia is optimizing. And the issues aren´t particular with blender, there´s a life beyond blender as well I hear :smiley:

True that, still it helps you nothing if you got to rely/use software that needs cuda support.
I need to use 3DVision for my job, by now there are some nice card independent solutions but other than that you need nvidia.
As I said… you need what you need.

Buy everything at wholesale price only over USD50(wholesale price total).www.karrylady.comhttp://pic.yupoo.com/lanyezi/924129b34253/maqyz741.jpg