Finally - my first real animation!

I’m wondering where you got that model from. I know that it’s originally from Maya but where did the conversion come from? Can you share?

I made htis in 2.4a2. It probably took a month of evenings. Some evenings very little was achieved but I was learning all the way. I used a combination of blocking out and forward animation. I would choose a specific point in the song and key a pose there. Then I’d work between two major poses and key specific poses in-between. Then I moved onto the next chunk - doing about five or ten second chunks at a time. Then I’d go back and fidget with bits and pieces.

The model is derived directly “Generi”, a character made available for Maya. nateshaw (Nathaniel) posted a Blender version here a couple of months back. You’ll still find it on his website:

http://www.nathanielshaw.com/

I’ve modified it as I went along so I’ll see if I can upload my model soon (I’m running out of space). Things I changed included eyelids, eyeballs, mouth and weight-painting - and possibly some bones added/changed in the head. The rig is very simple. Basic IK for legs and FK for arms.

I recently discovered Keith Lango’s site and find his pop-through technique invaluable for learning animation. Unless I misunderstand your question, the Constant IPO type for pose keys actually does what you want. It’s important to keep the keys perfectly aligned vertically in the Action editor for each key position as you rough out the major movements.

FWIW from a forum newbie and 8-month Blender user – your animation rocks! Thanks for sharing and for letting us follow your progress in the forums.

==========
Manny E.
Minneapolis

Unless I misunderstand your question, the Constant IPO type for pose keys actually does what you want.

<bangs head on desk in sheer embarassment> Thanks! How the heck did I not see that option?

And thanks for the thumbs-up on the animation :slight_smile:

I think it would be really interesting if the camera moved.

Reallly great overall I admire you talent as a “beginning” animator!! Keep up the good work!

Does anyone know how to make Blender do what he calls “pop-through keyframing” - where each pose is held until the next keyframe rather than interpolated. I would think it would require a different curve option (linear, bezier, constant ,- “hold”). Is it possible currently or would I have to use linear curves and manually edit them to remain flat between keys?

If I’m understanding your question right, I think this is done with a constant curve.

If I’m understanding your question right, I think this is done with a constant curve.

Yes it is. CD38 mentioned that too. It seems I was looking so hard I couldn’t see the curves for the keys (or something like that). I was sure I’d tried all those options but clearly I hadn’t. I think I probably assumed I knew what constant did (I think I confused it with the extrapolation options) and just ignored it.

I think it would be really interesting if the camera moved.

I considered it but felt it might distract from the actions. If I take him any further (when I learn some new stuff and give him facial keys too) I might consider some camera changes rather than moves. I think this would be more likely in a TV stage performance (in fact, the original live performance has a couple of cuts I think). Thanks for the comments.