Finally, TTF to Type1 (use your current fonts in Blender)

I found this the other day, and uninstalled Elefont :slight_smile:

http://ttf2pt1.sourceforge.net

windows32 and Linux :slight_smile:

WOOOHOOO

K-Rich

Thanks, for the Link, this has come up before but I am glad you pointed it out. If you get this to function, would you be so kind as to explain what to do with it. I am mainly a Windows user, but recently installed Mandrake Linux and am beginning to learn how to work my way around there. I am not a programmer and I for one could use a little help in getting this ttf2pt1 functioning.

Well, i have it compiled for windows… i’ll try to put it on my crappy geocities space tonight.

I’ve found this tool invaluable.

basiclly it’s like this

ttf2t1 -b <fontname.ttf>

and it creates the font so you can use with Blender… It’s not perfect, some fonts don’t work so well (the way it reads the bitmap) but… it’s handy

K-Rich

Hi K-Rich, I tried compiling it on windows, but got some unresolved externals, I guess it’s my old version of visual c++ again. So I’d be pleased if you put it up:)

Have fun,

Wybren van Keulen
Funny Farm

An already compiled version for Windows :
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/ttf2pt1.htm

Thanks for the link, IamInnocent, but geez it sucks. I need to install two external libraries even if it’s already compiled. I think I’ll pass.

hey, cool idea, i can finally use my collection of like [!] 500 fonts in blender. :smiley:

I use pfaEdit
(PfaEdit – A postscript font editor that lets you create your own postscript, truetype, opentype, cid-keyed and bitmap (bdf) fonts, or edit existing ones. Also lets you convert one format to another. )

http://pfaedit.sourceforge.net/

I load up ttf font, save it as pfb… that’s it.

it’s also a fullblown editor, to create your own fonts, of course.

.b

And again windows users need extra stuff. But I was going to give cygwin a try anyhow. Thanks for posting, basse. I’ve been looking for a font editing software for some time now!

Have fun,

Wybren van Keulen
Funny Farm

I just explored this topic. I thought of writing a small script for pfaedit, to convert all .ttf fonts into pfb. now here it is…

Using
Put the Script into the Directory containing the ttf fonts. Make sure you got execute permissions. To add this to your console:

chmod a+x script.pe

now execute the script by typing:

./script.pe font1.ttf, font2.ttf, fontn.ttf

or all the fonts together by

./script.pe *.ttf

The Script

#!/usr/bin/pfaedit

i=1
while ( i &lt; $argc )
	Open($argv[i])
	#Generate("/blender/fonts/test.pfb")
	Generate($filename:r+".pfb")
	Close()
	++i
endloop

Quit(0);

Attention!
Your pfaedit executable has to be located where the first line points to. Edit it if its not in /usr/bin.

Known issues
The script creates the .pfb files plus a .afm file. I dont know y this is, but it also get created using the “normal” way.
The script prints out a message “Use a range offset of 0xfff to mean a missing glyph in cmap table.”. No idea what this is :slight_smile:

I don’t get it… Blender CAN import .ttf fonts out of the box. Did you not know this or am I missing something?

It can now. It couldn’t back when this thread was made. But I guess Chimera still doesn’t know…

cool I can now use all my fonts

In fact, it can use TrueType, PostScript Type 1, OpenType, and many more (full list here).

What about 2.25?

2.25 is Type 1 only. Freetype support was added in version 2.27.

no I run gentoo linux. the ttf fonts are a bit tricky here. it just doesnt work with ttf. I got the newest cvs built by myself

i never managed to load TTF fonts in linux blender… so… I’m still using type1.

to be honest, I dont much care if it loads or doesn’t load ttf :slight_smile:

.b

when people bring back old posts, it can only mean trouble :wink:

Blender already has support for ttf’s.

Atleast on Windows it does… Just point it to a TTF and away you go.

Harnak