Finding Inspiration to Continue Blender

Hello, me. Incase you don’t know who I am, I used to post quite often on here, sharing all my wips (which were never finished) and just working with blender. However, since sometime early last year, disregarding an animation camp I went to during the summer and was forced to do 3d, I have been just kind of putting of Blender. Recently I’ve been just painting and drawing. There isn’t anything wrong with that, but I started to think that 2d is a more “pure” form of art and I should focus in on that. And to an extent it is more “pure”, being able to draw with just a pencil and paper as opposed to a computer and programs. But there isn’t anything wrong with 3d, and I still enjoyed doing it. I think it’s partially because I’d rather try to learn 2d animation since I enjoy the animation aspect more in 2d, but I love modeling and things. So, do I need to rediscover what to do in Blender? Do I need to make games? Just go back to stills, but not able to come up with anything I want to do and can do (damn you forests)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Actually… There’s nothing wrong at all. Many people on here draw 2d and then turn it into 3d. That to me is some of the most beautiful creations I’ve ever seen.

You can of course kill blender if you want, but if you draw 2d, it would be awesome to see some of that in 3d, because like I said before, it’s some of the most beautiful artwork I’ve ever seen on here. :slight_smile:

I do both 2D and 3D, and find that both complement each other. As in, I’ll do an anatomy study sculpt in Blender, and it improves my drawing. Sometimes I just use Blender for a quick block in to paint over so I don’t need to spend an extra hour setting up perspective manually.

I guess my point is there isn’t a hard division between the two. You should do whatever sparks your interest the most, and not feel the least bit guilty about it.

if your feel happier in 2d then just do it, do 3D stuff when you feel like a bit of a change, or just never use it again. you could always just use its video editing capabilities to composite your 2d animations. its not like anyones going to flay you alive for doing something different

Thanks for the input already, but the thing is, I’ve already said my “purity” thing, but that’s not even the whole issue. I happy and more proud of my 2d work, therefor happier with the long terms results, and I like the 2d animation aspect better, but I also just short term enjoy while doing modeling and texturing and stuff. But for some reason, I can never push myself to do Blender. I think part of it is comparitively, except for forests damn you, but I feel like I am better, comparitively, in blender than drawing so I should focus my practice in that. Also, I feel like I have nothing to work to anymore. I really don’t have a huge drive to create a whole 3d animation, so if I just make one thing, than so what, good for me, but it’s just something…

I’ve done the opposite actually. :o
turn my 3D into 2D

Start a sketchbook thread in traditional and start posting stuff. I’ve got tons of links to 2D resources if you need them.